Current Param Knob

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
zsteinkamp

Current Param Knob

Post by zsteinkamp » Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:19 am

Another utility that I think some people would like... this one is a M4L device with a single knob. The knob is always connected to the currently selected parameter. So as you click from parameter to parameter in your Live set, this knob will display the current value and let you change it.

This isn't terribly useful on its own, but if you map a MIDI controller to that knob, now you can have a non-mouse interface to adjust the value. I have a big slider in my TouchOSC control surface for it. It's more useful for me than I expected!

Here is the knob showing that the "Sub Gain" param is selected. Note that the device *does not* have to be in the same channel as the param it's showing/changing.

More details and download:
https://github.com/zsteinkamp/m4l-CurrentParamKnob

maximejerryfraisse

Re: Current Param Knob

Post by maximejerryfraisse » Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:44 am

Omg that's super useful ! 8O

Thx,

Maxime
maximejerryfraisse / what I do = [INSTAGRAM]

zsteinkamp

Post by zsteinkamp » Sun May 01, 2022 7:46 pm

I'm glad someone else finds it useful :)

I have also now integrated this into my "Knobbler 3" device / TouchOSC layout.

https://github.com/zsteinkamp/m4l-zs-Knobbler3

When I integrated it into Knobbler 3, I changed it from MIDI control to OSC control. The main benefit there, aside from not having to deal with network MIDI, is that OSC can be far more precise than a MIDI CC. The slider in the TouchOSC layout is over 2500 pixels wide on my iPad, so you can be much more precise than the 128 steps that MIDI provides.

Happy to hear feedback and help people through any issues with it. I check here occasionally, but you can also email me at zack@steinkamp.us for more direct contact.

jjot

Post by jjot » Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:46 pm

I would really like to implement this function in my remote script for my Akai MPK, so that a controller knob is always set to the currently selected parameter in Live.

Does anyone know if and how this is possible? I didn't find anything about this in the sample for the user remote script...