Windows10 sound OK / no sound in MAX8 environment

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
J_R

Windows10 sound OK / no sound in MAX8 environment

Post by J_R » Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:02 am

I've just begun the MAX8 kadenze tutorial and am using a TIME-LIMITED version of MAX8.
Sound works as expected on Windows; has been working with Ableton Live11; was working last night with MAX8; but is not working now in the MAX8 environment.
The sound-related interfaces in play on the WIN10 platform are:
- Sound settings,
- Volume mixer,
- Spatial sound,
- Sounds, and
- Troubleshoot sound settings (useless in MAX8 context)
Sound-related interfaces in play on the MAX8 application are:
- Options/Audio Status...
- Extras/Audiotester
Ableton AUDIO Preferences are:
- Driver Type: MME/DirectX
- Audio Input Device: Microphone (Realtek Audio) DX
- Audio Output Device: Speakers (Focusrite Usb Audio) DX

I'm sure this is all just fascinating. However, NOW I just need to activate sound (it was working last night!) so I can continue to work with MAX8.
In other words, I don't have the time to now understand the differences between plugout; dac-; ezdac-; Liv; ad-mme; (None); ad_asio Focusrite USB ASIO; ad_directsound; NonRealTime; ad_portaudio MME; ad_portaudio Windows DirectSound; ad_portaudio Windows WASAPI; ad_portaudio Windows WDM-KS; ad_rewire; ASIO driver; MME/DirectX; Realtek Audio DX; Focusrite Usb Audio DX, etc.

In my last 4 hours of trying to find a solution I think I've learned that MAX8 and MAX for live (M4L) might not even be the same programs--and therefore I might even be barking up the wrong tree (aka forum) even asking a question about MAX8. But I'm pretty sure they're related!!

I just need to know how to set my computer and MAX8 application so as to get sound up and running and be able to continue with my classes!

Thank you in advance!!

Rivanni

Re: Windows10 sound OK / no sound in MAX8 environment

Post by Rivanni » Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:51 am

Did you check the audio settings in Max8? Max8 is a separate program and does not rely on settings in Live.

If you are using Max For Live then you use plugout~ in Max8 you use dac~ and ezdac~. The latter is the easiest. There's also a button in the bottom right of the Max window with which you can toggle audio. I'm sure the Kadenze course explains this all.

If all is set correctly but you don't hear anything then there might be a fault in your patch.