Free running probabilistic triggers device help?

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
Durdee

Free running probabilistic triggers device help?

Post by Durdee » Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:20 pm

Hello, I’m hoping someone can help me design a device. I’m looking to output unclocked triggers with control over probability to my Expert Sleepers Fh-2. I’d like to be able to use my faderfox ec-4 to control the settings. What I’m looking for is basically (at least) 4 free running clocks to be adjusted with a MIDI controller, each with a probability control so that I can adjust the randomness of the triggers. Then I want to be able to set a note value for each trigger. I’m thinking that I can use this in an “external instrument” to specify which channel these triggers are sent out on (I have a trigger/Gate expander on my Fh-2 set to channel 10, notes 35-42, for example). Any help would be appreciated, even if it’s just pointing me in the direction of an already-existing m4l device. Thanks in advance!

gross9978

Re: Free running probabilistic triggers device help?

Post by gross9978 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:57 pm

Have you searched for “expert sleepers” on maxforlive.com? I know there’s quite a few devices there, not sure if they’d do what your looking for though. I’ve been working on a sequencer using gen~ based on lysdexic YouTube tutorials that I think is pretty closed to the first part of your request, it could be simply copied for how ever many signals you want. It takes in a phasor~ and can output trigs, gates, simple envelopes and step counts with or without probability and ratchets. The signals are 0-1 I’m not sure what voltage modular uses for trigs or gates? The clocks locked to Lives transport and can be divided however you want, if you unlock the sync it could be free running with its own On/Off. I’d be happy to share it if you want to hack it apart and make it work how you’d like. If you copied it 4 times and put an unlocked phasor~ in each one I think you’d have the first part basically done? In max 8.3 there’s an object called stash~ That can store and recall signals so you could use that to output CV I think? You’d need to scale the output signal to volt per octave I’d think? You may/may not have to wait on an Ableton update to use the newer objects I’m not positive on that one. I don’t have a modular to test on but I think it’d be doable without to much hassle? Actually I think other than probability it could now be done with just Phasor~ and What~? Maybe someone who’s knows more than me can chime in if I’m wrong about anything?

Durdee

Post by Durdee » Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:34 am

Hi! I tried searching and there area couple of devices for the Fh-2 but nothing like what I’m looking for. However, I’m definitely going to be digging through that website some more! As for your design, if you’re willing to let me mess around with it, maybe it would help me wrap my brain around some basics, and I’ll totally check out the lysdexic videos too. As far as values, the Fh-2 is just a MIDI to cv converter so 0s and 1s are perfect for gates and triggers as it just outputs 5v for 1s and 0v for 0s.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:16 am

Arpeggiator, velocity and random and scale Midi Fxs should be alright. No need for max for live.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

Durdee

Post by Durdee » Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:14 am

chapelier fou wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:16 am
Arpeggiator, velocity and random and scale Midi Fxs should be alright. No need for max for live.
Upon looking over these fxs I can sort of formulate an idea… I’ve never made a macro yet so maybe this will be my first one!

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:45 am

Good luck. And as a general advice, it’s always a good idea to try hard to find a solution with live devices only instead of thinking that it’s a job for max for live. Midi FXs are a simple but powerful toolbox.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

gross9978

Post by gross9978 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:38 pm

Haha that’s great it can be done that way. I didn’t think about it converting midi to CV I just heard modular and thought you’d need signals. Let me know if you still want the patch to tinker with:)