CV Tools Control Exp. In on Effect Pedals Help.

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
topperf

CV Tools Control Exp. In on Effect Pedals Help.

Post by topperf » Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:37 pm

- I'm trying to experiment with CV Tools (LFO) controlling my effect pedals expression input, but can't make it work. I'm suspecting I'm using the wrong cables maybe. I've only been able to try it out with stereo-jack in both ends, which work fine when I'm using an expression pedal to control another effect pedal, but connected to Apollo line out channel 7 (Ableton LFO connected to that channel and confirming visually it is sending signal) nothing happens. I've tried routing it to stereo-headphones output too and connecting a normal mono jack cable from line 7 out to expression in. No luck so far.
Anyone know how I can make it work?
:)

topperf

Re: CV Tools Control Exp. In on Effect Pedals Help.

Post by topperf » Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:11 pm

My UAD Apollo should be able to carry the signal.

topperf

Post by topperf » Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:38 pm

Great articles in there. I've enjoyed that information and it's inspiring, but they don't help me with the question at hand. (or maybe I fail to understand the directions). I can see what type of cables to use when you're connecting to/from modular/daw - but getting the information from CV Tools out of a line out and into an expression input on a guitar effect, doesn't seem to be covered. At least I'd like to know if it's the cable that's the issue. The daw and the Apollo sound interface should be working fine. :-)

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:38 pm

I highly doubt that your guitar stomp box expression input accepts CV...
And I'm not even sure that the Apollo is DC-coupled (which is a requirement for working with CV)
Ableton Forum Moderator

Chancery

Post by Chancery » Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:26 am

According to UAD, all Apollo interfaces are DC-Coupled except for the old silver model.
As the above-mentioned article states, your best (and safest) bet is to use a floating ring jack cable (it's not a regular TS-to-TRS jack). Maybe try that and see if it works.
Expert Sleepers make one. Being a UK company you should find it easily in that country. In the EU I buy them from Schneidersladen in Berlin. No idea elsewhere.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:43 pm

Shit! I didn't ever imagine that guitar stomp boxes could actually deal with CV! What a reveal :idea:
Ableton Forum Moderator