Errors and issues with maxforlive devices, since forever.

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
chrisfreeq

Errors and issues with maxforlive devices, since forever.

Post by chrisfreeq » Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:28 am

Hi,

I started using Ableton around 3-4 years ago now. During all my time using Ableton, I have either gotten errors almost no matter what 3rd party maxforlive device I use, or it's resulted in corrupt project, making me very reluctant to use these amazing tools.

I recently reinstalled Windows 10 and Ableton 11, and surprise surprise, I still get errors.

Right now, I'm trying to use Chronology and Polymath, and I get the errors live.path - set path: invalid path.

If I add any device *instruments and effects( from the "inspired by Nature" pack, I get ever-persistent "jit.gi: invalid extension called" errors. Can't even remove the device again because of the persistent error-window. If I collapse the device, the persistent errors stops, and gives me "jit.gl.render: finish: GL Error: Invalid operation". Apparently the first errors occurring with this device are "jit.gl.render: finish: GL Error: Invalid operation" and "jit_gl_support_init: initial: GL Error: Invalid enumeration"

I could go on, but I think this might already be too much for one post.

Cheers,
Chris

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Errors and issues with maxforlive devices, since forever.

Post by [jur] » Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:06 pm

Where do these error messages appear? Are they making the devices unusable?
Ableton Forum Moderator

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:59 pm

[jur] wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:06 pm
That's an important question. Sometimes it's hard to get rid off error messages in Max (especially when a device is loaded), but it doesn't mean that they have an impact on the device.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

chrisfreeq

Post by chrisfreeq » Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:11 pm

[jur] wrote:
Well, not sure I understand the question; they appear in the max for live debug window. This one:
https://ibb.co/Kxm1Qrz

In the case of the Seeds devices (Chronology, Polymath etc., it's fine to keep working, I can just close down the window.
However it does make me nervous, with regards to projects turning corrupt / unusable later on.

In the case of the Inspired by Nature devices, yes. They're rendered useless because the maxforlive windows is persistent.
chapelier fou wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:59 pm
[jur] wrote:
That's an important question. Sometimes it's hard to get rid off error messages in Max (especially when a device is loaded), but it doesn't mean that they have an impact on the device.
Right. But could it cause instabilities and possibly corrupt projects?

Cheers,
Chris

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:08 pm

report it to support then....

Cheers
D

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:10 pm

chrisfreeq wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:11 pm
[jur] wrote:
Well, not sure I understand the question; they appear in the max for live debug window. This one:
https://ibb.co/Kxm1Qrz

In the case of the Seeds devices (Chronology, Polymath etc., it's fine to keep working, I can just close down the window.
However it does make me nervous, with regards to projects turning corrupt / unusable later on.

In the case of the Inspired by Nature devices, yes. They're rendered useless because the maxforlive windows is persistent.
chapelier fou wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:59 pm
[jur] wrote:
Right. But could it cause instabilities and possibly corrupt projects?

Cheers,
Chris
As Chapelier said, it doesn't matter most of the time.
What I suspect is that you have an old instance of Granulator in your set, and because of it ht eMax Console pops up constantly... and that is the real problem.
Am I right?
If yes, then just make sure to downalod the lastest Granulator II version, it has an option to prevent the Max Console to open up automatically. This is mostly a developer tool that should have never been in the final version of the device.
Ableton Forum Moderator