Program Change within Effects Rack on Audio Track

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
oddeo

Program Change within Effects Rack on Audio Track

Post by oddeo » Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:04 pm

Does anyone have any knowledge on embedding a device that can send program change messages within an audio track effects rack?

Goal: As much as possible, I don’t look at a computer screen when producing. I use Guitar Rig 6 for a variates of effects applications, and in an ideal world I would like to be able to imbed a program change M4L device insides an effects rack with Guitar Rig so I can easily brows presets with Push 2 in the contest of the track and other effects I’m working with on that track.

Ideas:
1) M4L Program Change device in effects rack on Audio Track
2) M4L device with ability to send/route to midi channel on same track (mimicking a separate midi track routing to Guitar Rig midi.)
3) A M4L device that uses relative CC, in an audio effects rack, on an audio track. - Turn encoder to the right and the same CC will be sent repeatedly as the encoder is turned, as the encoder is turned a different direction it sends a separate CC - This can be mapped to the program inc/dec buttons on Guitar Rig (this could also be useful for other plugins that allow Next/Previous preset button mapping)
4) A M4L device that can control another M4L device (program change device) on a separate track (separate midi track with Prg Chng device)

Any tips, tricks or devices you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Neil
Live Suite 12 / Push 3S / MacBook Pro M1 Max 64G RAM / SS Prophet 6 / Moog Minitaur / TR-8S / Zen Delay / BigSky / Yaeltex Custom / APC40 Mk2 / KeyLab Mk2 / BCR2000 / FCB 1010 / UA Apollo 8 / other random gear

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Program Change within Effects Rack on Audio Track

Post by [jur] » Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:30 am

Some audio plugins can receive midi from a midi track. No idea if guitar rig can, though, but with a bit of luck...
Just create a blank midi track, and in its midi output chooser the audio track containing your Guitar Rig should appear if the plugin can accept program changes. Then simply use a midi clip in this track to select your PC.
Ableton Forum Moderator

oddeo

Post by oddeo » Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:42 am

Thanks.

Guitar Rig does receive midi through a separate midi track.

My goal here is the control the program change from the same track that Guitar Rig is in.
Live Suite 12 / Push 3S / MacBook Pro M1 Max 64G RAM / SS Prophet 6 / Moog Minitaur / TR-8S / Zen Delay / BigSky / Yaeltex Custom / APC40 Mk2 / KeyLab Mk2 / BCR2000 / FCB 1010 / UA Apollo 8 / other random gear

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:23 pm

oddeo wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:42 am
My goal here is the control the program change from the same track that Guitar Rig is in.
Well in this case (without details):
you need an audio M4L device which receives midi (it's possible since L11 - or was it L10?)
grab the PC from the midiparse/midiselect object
load Guitar Rig INSIDE the M4L device using the VST~ or AU~ object and send it your midi PC
Ableton Forum Moderator

oddeo

Post by oddeo » Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:27 am

Thanks, Jur.

Your tip pushed me in the right direction and I ended up finding this device: https://maxforlive.com/library/device/6 ... parameters

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:32 pm

I'm glad it helped!
Ableton Forum Moderator