All times are UTC

 
 



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Moving ableton files from Mac to PC
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:28 am 

Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 2:21 pm
Posts: 1119
Location: Paris
Hi.

After 10 years, I'm switching back from my macbook to a brand new PCay :!:

Because I'm a man of the 21th centuray, I'm using cloud base solution (dropbox) to save all my shit.

My question : will all my ableton live project will open correctly when I get them back on my PCay hard drive?

Cheers :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Moving ableton files from Mac to PC
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:22 am 

Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:02 pm
Posts: 490
Should do unless you have third party plugins that are only AU. Also worth movng your user library to the cloud based solution so all your presets etc just turn up in the new user library on the PC.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Moving ableton files from Mac to PC
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:56 pm 

Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 2:21 pm
Posts: 1119
Location: Paris
Thanks!
I think I'm simply gonna move everything that is not mac system to the cloud!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Moving ableton files from Mac to PC
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:43 am 

Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:04 pm
Posts: 13
Is it safe zipping/upzipping Ableton Live projects?
I jump back and forth from Mac to Pc.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Moving ableton files from Mac to PC
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:21 am 

Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 2:21 pm
Posts: 1119
Location: Paris
Not sure about zipping and stuff,
but I come back to this thread because I have created it, and I want to confirm :

Ableton Live project are totally compatible between multiple computer, Mac/PC, as long as you have the same plug-ins installed on all the computers.

I sync my projects on dropbox from my Mac, and I can open them in my PC, and vice-versa. :idea: :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Moving ableton files from Mac to PC
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:45 pm 

Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:04 pm
Posts: 13
If you don't have the same plugins, does it still open up, but with some type of message about missing plugin?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Moving ableton files from Mac to PC
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:56 pm 

Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2002 2:18 am
Posts: 6340
Location: Auckland New Zealand
icehouse wrote:
Is it safe zipping/upzipping Ableton Live projects?
I jump back and forth from Mac to Pc.


I've never had a problem with zipping/unzipping Live projects when sending them via the internet ...albeit between Macs, but I don't imagine any problems with the zipping/unzipping itself. You might want to look at using the Create Pack function from the Manage Files menu option instead however, as this uses lossless compression on the audio files included in the Project. It REALLY reduces the size of the file you need to upload/download/transfer. I use this often to send projects to my overseas collaborator and it works very well.

_________________
Image
MBP i5 2.53GHz | OSX 10.10.5 | Live 9.7 | Fireface400 | Multiface | Push 2
https://soundcloud.com/paddyfree


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Moving ableton files from Mac to PC
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:31 pm 

Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:04 pm
Posts: 13
Pitch Black wrote:
icehouse wrote:
Is it safe zipping/upzipping Ableton Live projects?
I jump back and forth from Mac to Pc.


I've never had a problem with zipping/unzipping Live projects when sending them via the internet ...albeit between Macs, but I don't imagine any problems with the zipping/unzipping itself. You might want to look at using the Create Pack function from the Manage Files menu option instead however, as this uses lossless compression on the audio files included in the Project. It REALLY reduces the size of the file you need to upload/download/transfer. I use this often to send projects to my overseas collaborator and it works very well.


Okay, thanks for this tip! Or Trick? Either one, it is good to know.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Moving ableton files from Mac to PC
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:06 am 

Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 2:21 pm
Posts: 1119
Location: Paris
icehouse wrote:
If you don't have the same plugins, does it still open up, but with some type of message about missing plugin?


Yes, it still opens with a warning message.
Pretty cool.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Moving ableton files from Mac to PC
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:26 pm 

Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:04 pm
Posts: 13
The Carpet Cleaner wrote:
icehouse wrote:
If you don't have the same plugins, does it still open up, but with some type of message about missing plugin?


Yes, it still opens with a warning message.
Pretty cool.


ok thanks.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC

 
 

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group