All times are UTC

Post subject: Is there a fast way to preview songs?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:37 pm 

If I have a folder with a bunch of works-in-progress it would be great to easily listen to them or render out a bunch of rough recordings.

Post subject: Re: Is there a fast way to preview songs?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:48 pm 

djmentos wrote:
If I have a folder with a bunch of works-in-progress it would be great to easily listen to them or render out a bunch of rough recordings.

That's a great habit to have at the end of session. I think you mean "export", not render. While that is english, it's not a word in the language Live uses.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:15 pm 

Sorry, I meant export or "bounce." But is there a way to quickly listen to songs without the process of manually opening and exporting each one?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:22 pm 

Unfortunately not, sorry.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:33 pm 

Stromkraft wrote:
I think you mean "export", not render. While that is english, it's not a word in the language Live uses.

...which is funny, because the keyboard shortcut for exporting to audio is CTRL+SHIFT+R as in "Render" :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:24 pm 

I have a folder called "song reminders" that I render out to pretty regularly. :lol:
Sometimes it's the full song as it was left, and sometimes it's a chunk from the middle and a "different bit" from later in the arrangement.
these reminders are pretty useful in case I accidentally save the file in a weird and muted state.

I listen to the reminder tracks in my music player app, and I aslso keep a set of detailed notes in an old to-do list software I've used for about 10 years, and that has a list of all the file dependencies and stuff in it for each song. What I was aiming for, and what I think is needed to get it closer to completion.

You'd hope Live could handle some of those tasks but nope, Live has abominable versioning, previewing and note-taking, so they don't cover this in any way.

best to rely on external tools.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:21 am 

antic604 wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:
I think you mean "export", not render. While that is english, it's not a word in the language Live uses.

...which is funny, because the keyboard shortcut for exporting to audio is CTRL+SHIFT+R as in "Render" :)

He's just being a pedantic as we all know what Render means and if he actually looked in the Export Audio/Video section of Live (instead of just assuming) he would see the words "Render Track, Render Start, Render Length, Render as Loop" so it is very much a word live uses.

As suggested best way is to get into the habit of doing an export as you finish your days production. It will only take a minute and leaves you with something to preview or take with you. I always do this so I can copy work onto USB to listen to in the car or when at a party, slip it onto the stereo and see if anyone notices or comments.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:10 am 

jestermgee wrote:
antic604 wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:

He's just being a pedantic as we all know what Render means and if he actually looked in the Export Audio/Video section of Live (instead of just assuming) he would see the words "Render Track, Render Start, Render Length, Render as Loop" so it is very much a word live uses.

No, that's right. Good catch there. I realize I just focus on the settings in the export dialog and not the labels (or I'd have remembered this).