Raise the Volume on Half a Stereo Sound?

Share your Ableton Live secrets here
773M07

Raise the Volume on Half a Stereo Sound?

Post by 773M07 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:29 pm

I've got a stereo .wav file and I want to increase the volume of the sounds only on the right side. I don't want to change the panning, just make what's on the right side louder. Not sure how to do that... any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
773M07
Thank you for flying Aeromass.

pip

Post by pip » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:46 pm

Drop a Utility into that clip's track. Set its Mode to Left and it's panning all the way to the left. Group that Utility, and then duplicate it to another chain. Set the second Utility's Mode to Right and pan it all the way to the right.

This avoids your panning problem because you're only panning the left channel to the left, and only panning the right channel to the right.

Now that you have two chains, you can adjust their volume (and add effects) independently.

Hope that helps!
--PiP

773M07

Post by 773M07 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:11 pm

I get it - that should definitely work. Thanks for the help!

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:30 am

really I think panning to the right and bumping up the fader is the same difference.

all the pan does on a stereo track is decrease the other side's signal

right?

773M07

Post by 773M07 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:51 pm

No, I don't think so. A sound panned all the way to the left in a stereo file (so that it plays only in the left speaker) will not just get softer in volume if you pan it to the right. The sound will start coming from the right as well.

I need to be able to leave both sides panned exactly as they are, but make the right half louder. Pip's solution should work (I haven't tested it yet, but the logic is very sound.)

In this particular instance, the file is a piano piece, and the notes are panned left to right, from lowest to highest. So really low notes on the piano are all the way left, and the highest notes are all the way right. Those highest notes aren't coming through the mix as well as the low notes, so I need to increase the volume on the right side, without changing how it is panned.

WildWillyBill

Re: Raise the Volume on Half a Stereo Sound?

Post by WildWillyBill » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:21 am

Found perfect solution. Right click on the "Track Pan" knob/slider. (It's a knob in Session view, and slider in Arrangement view). Then click "Select Split Stereo Pan Mode". BOOM! Easy.

Side note: Normal stereo panning does indeed turn down the other channels volume, and you can witness that by looking at the track volume as you adjust the panning. In other words, if your track is louder on the Right channel, then panning left will decrease the Right channel.