Audio-to-MIDI really bad?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Ache08

Audio-to-MIDI really bad?

Post by Ache08 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:16 am

Hi all,
I have tested the audio-to-MIDI conversion with a bass guitar and the results were quite underwhelming: from 6 played notes, only 2 were converted to midi. It worked better on higher notes, but when you play bass, you obviously need the lower ones, too, right? lol.
I tested the same thing on Cakewalk, which converted them with near absolute perfection.
So my question(s) would be: Is there a way to tweak the MIDI converter? Or is it just as bad as it is? Or is there maybe another workaround that I am not aware of?

Thanks!

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Audio-to-MIDI really bad?

Post by [jur] » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:58 pm

The algorithm is right, you played the wrong notes :lol:
No, seriously, the algorithm isn't very good imo. You can help it by making sure to add warp/transient markers to the start of each notes before doing the conversion but that's mostly relevant to make sur that each notes get detected time-wise (i.E it doesn't help with finding the right pitch afaik). Playing straight notes (no vibrato) and playing clean does help but only to a certain extent.
Would be nice if you could send your audio file to support@ableton.com so they can have a look at what's disturbing the algorithm.
Ableton Forum Moderator

Ache08

Post by Ache08 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:29 am

Hey, thanks for the answer and thanks for the tips.
I am aware that my audio file might be challenging for a (bad) algorithm. I was just surprised how well Cakewalk (which is free...) handles this.
I hope the audio-to-midi converter will get a mayor improvement soon.
Thanks!

MotiMo

Post by MotiMo » Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:08 pm

Thanks for the tip jur.
Funny I was doing a lot of converting yesterday and was thinking the algorithm was working pretty well hahah (guitar on Live 10)....of course I don't expect perfection in that feature (was always impressed with the feature itself :D ).....I've heard of Cakewalk but not for a long time, free and effective audio to midi conversion tho!?!? Dang, gonna have to check that out! Thanks~