ULTIMATE Clip Pack/Tune Organization for DJs (now w VIDEO)

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
The Phat Conductor

Re: ULTIMATE Clip Pack/Tune Organization for DJs

Post by The Phat Conductor » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:22 pm

adverbial wrote:http://www.icedaudio.com/

Blows away any other cataloging system I have ever found. Mac only.
yea, for samples + studio stuff that looks sweeeeet.

i can't see how useful it would be in a live DJ environment tho...
ill gates aka the phat conductor
producer, performer + ableton/music teacher

http://www.illgates.com

jimyson

Re:

Post by jimyson » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:53 am

The Phat Conductor wrote:warped packs of clips as .als.

just warp em, copy it a few times, set your cue/loop points, and then drag em into the browser. provided you are within your dj set track folder it won't make a new project folder for each .als clip pack.

Nice. Was just asking someone the other day how to save clips like this. I have my stuff organized by Genre but I'm thinking now I would need to create a folder with naming that is identical to the master clip and have this new pack in the with the original master clip. This way I can choose any song or its clips by browsing through my crates and not tying it to a project. Useful for on the fly.

gRave Robber

Post by gRave Robber » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:47 am

!?!?!?? why have I never found this thread before. Thanks bro thats 2 I owe you!
“People say that beatmatching is the art of DJing, but I’m sorry, beat matching isn’t really creative, it’s just a skill,” Richie Hawtin

tmcmahon2

Post by tmcmahon2 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:18 am

I haven't figured out why Ableton hasn't provided a better set of metatags for files you import into Live. They have a .asd file for any clip info you save. Why not let people write custom information, or even a small set of tags, into that file? Traktor - I know it's different - let's you set key and bpm tags that you can find inside Traktor. (If I believe the video I just saw.....)

GueroGigante

Re:

Post by GueroGigante » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:27 am

The Phat Conductor wrote:warped packs of clips as .als.

just warp em, copy it a few times, set your cue/loop points, and then drag em into the browser. provided you are within your dj set track folder it won't make a new project folder for each .als clip pack.
Ill big ups for all the work you've done educating the kids! I've been using those 128 racks for a minute. So nice!!!

I need some clarification on this .als clip pack for DJing thing.

I get the idea of non destructive slicing to create an als clip pack

I get that if I drag the slices into an existing project folder (DJ Project) then it doesnt create a new project just the als.

Here is the dilema:

When I do this ableton imports a single copy of the song into the project>samples>imported folder.

Is there any way I can configure this so that the als file I create references the original copy of the track in my music library? I'm concerned that if i slice up 1000's of tracks that those 1000's of copies are going to create space issues.

The Phat Conductor

Post by The Phat Conductor » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:54 pm

go to the prefs.

'collect on export' in the file/folder prefs.

turn it OFF.

<3 ya

d

Bainesy

Post by Bainesy » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:19 pm

I DON'T get this? and I feel it's important, what exactly do you guys mean by non destructively slicing the create an ALS clip pack?

Also, how exactly are these .als files used in your setup to help you organise? This sounds like a great organisational method and i totally agree about leopards pretty much instant searching. I just need to know more about how you split your .als files. Do you put a set number of clips in each .als or one .als per genre or one .als per camelot system key or... ???

Also - Tags sound GGGGRRRREAT! - I'm fairly mac-savvy, but exactly where do you set them / enable them guys? :-)
Using Ableton for Composing/Remixing/DJing
Macbook 2.26GHz/8GB/500GB/7200rpm/OSX Lion
ZeRO SL MkII & Launchpad
Reloop 10tion - Behringer Truth 1030A's - Sennheiser HD280's
Ableton Suite 8.2.2 - Automap Pro 3.7
http://soundcloud.com/jbainesy

The Phat Conductor

Post by The Phat Conductor » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:49 pm

Bainesy wrote:
I DON'T get this? and I feel it's important, what exactly do you guys mean by non destructively slicing the create an ALS clip pack?

Also, how exactly are these .als files used in your setup to help you organise? This sounds like a great organisational method and i totally agree about leopards pretty much instant searching. I just need to know more about how you split your .als files. Do you put a set number of clips in each .als or one .als per genre or one .als per camelot system key or... ???

Also - Tags sound GGGGRRRREAT! - I'm fairly mac-savvy, but exactly where do you set them / enable them guys? :-)
all of your questions have been answered already.

carefully read the whole thread and you'll get it, promise :D

d

Bainesy

Post by Bainesy » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:31 am

Ok, really wanna jump on this method, sounds good! could you please clarify:

By the sound of it you are using 1 .als file per .mp3 song, right? Ie. "Deadmau5 - Ghosts and stuff.mp3" has its own .als file... not a .als file with ALL your electro songs, another with ALL your hip hop songs...

And in this way you drop in a 'clip pack' with multiple instances of the same mp3 track with seperate cue/loop points, so you say, drop this on 'track A', can launch clips as if they were DJ cue points and preset loops, and then once finished performing the song (while track B is playing something) you can delete all the clips in the track and drop in the clip-pack for the NEXT song, is that about right?

And with regard to tags. Are you just naming the files like "Deadmau5 - Ghosts and stuff - 1B - 128 - Electro.mp3" or is there a way to add 'tags' to files? (ie right click > get info > "add tag" or something)

That'll get me started if you can answer them ;-) cheers for this - been looking for a good way to do it ;-)
ZeRO SL MkII & Launchpad

tmcmahon2

Post by tmcmahon2 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:47 pm

Bainesy wrote:
And with regard to tags. Are you just naming the files like "Deadmau5 - Ghosts and stuff - 1B - 128 - Electro.mp3" or is there a way to add 'tags' to files? (ie right click > get info > "add tag" or something)
You have to name the files that way and then search for the bits in the name. It would be fantastic if Ableton would add tag support. You just need to put some more info in the .als file and change the search function ... one would think.

Bainesy

Post by Bainesy » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:44 am

how does one 'search for a certain key' and then 'sort by bpm' ?

to tag I'm putting in 'spotlight comments' with a "&" in front (ie &1A &Electro &Popular &128BPM)
and I can search for all &1A's... but how then do you sort by bpm? is it possible? am I missing something?

The chopping up / .als pack idea is really going to be a big thing - Thanks SOOO much for sharing these ideas :-)
ZeRO SL MkII & Launchpad

zHz

Post by zHz » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:26 pm

I like this idea a lot. What about when you need to modify clip preferences - I've been using this system but if I change things like warp markers, level, etc, and click 'save', the next time I load the .als file it doesn't use these settings. It only uses the settings of the clip when I originally made the .als file....

thomas.martinet

Post by thomas.martinet » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:45 pm

You can use the Save funciton in sample view,
that will write the clip's settings to file and load your changes next time you load the sample

Cheers

zHz

Post by zHz » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:38 pm

thomas.martinet wrote:You can use the Save funciton in sample view,
that will write the clip's settings to file and load your changes next time you load the sample

Cheers
actually that's what i've been trying, and it never works... if i decide to edit a clip that i've dragged in from a previously created clip pack (.als file), and then click 'save' in the clip view, and then re-load the clip pack by dragging clips into my ableton set, my changes do not show up - it only uses the version of the clip that existed when i originally created the clip pack.

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:08 pm

zHz wrote:
thomas.martinet wrote:You can use the Save funciton in sample view,

Cheers
actually that's what i've been trying, and it never works... if i decide to edit a clip that i've dragged in from a previously created clip pack (.als file), and then click 'save' in the clip view, and then re-load the clip pack by dragging clips into my ableton set, my changes do not show up - it only uses the version of the clip that existed when i originally created the clip pack.
I know this is a necro bump but your problem is that when you click that "Save" button, all it does is save a .asd (analysis file) next to the audio file.. so when you drag your "clip pack" .als back in it isn't getting its properties from the .asd it is coming from the .als ( don't let that confuse you )

Update the clip with that "Save" button AND ALSO re-save your .als and it will finally work.