Mapping loop controls to nocturn

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
dcsux

Mapping loop controls to nocturn

Post by dcsux » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:04 am

I'm using a nocturn for controlling effects whilst djing in live 6 on a macbook. I would like to be able to effectively control looping via midi too.

I can assign the loop in/loop out to the buttons, but when I map the parameters such as loop length, loop start etc to the rotary controllers, each increment on the controller equates to a jump of several increments on the softwrae parameter. When I turn the rotary controller up one increment on the nocturn, I want it to equate to a one note/beat increment on the software.

Does anyone know a way around this? Hope I have explained things clearly enough.

salatspinatra

global quantize

Post by salatspinatra » Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:16 pm

what's your global launch setting?
And do you have clips defaulted to the global setting?
If you turn it clip quantization to none, or create a finer resolution, you'll be able to scrub through your clips.
Does this solve the problem?

dcsux

Post by dcsux » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:41 am

Thanks for trying. It didn't work though. I always have the global quantise set to none when djing, and the clip launch is always defaulted to the global setting. Even if I change the individual clip launch to none or 1/32 it still jumps the same as before.

For example, if I have the loop start at 0.0.1, a turn of the pot up one increment causes the loop start to jump to 0.1.2, then 0.2.3, 0.3.4...etc. The same happens if I map the buttons.

Trypset

Post by Trypset » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:52 am

i really want to know how to do this too....the thing about loop length control via midi.....i use MIDI OX as an inbetween to Ableton....i have tried all configurations.....i.e. changing all the parameters the knob can even send to ableton.....there seems to be no pattern. please anyone....this would be so sweet for builds/etc.
TrypseT
Live 8 Full (not suite), ES-1 MKII, Microkorg, MPC 1000, 2 1200's, Ms. Pinky's, OSX, Edirol FA-101, and a crate 'o' wax

obeyendevor

Post by obeyendevor » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:10 pm

probably not think about how midi is set from 0-127. your sample start end is not going to be the same for each track. what I did was set the global to 1 bar when I dj, then hit the loop start button, then the loop timing button and it should start looping. to end the loop, just hit the loop button. so you want the knob to control loop length? like i bar two bars etc..?? Probably not in live alone, but some crazy scrpit might do the trick, I think that guy that sells the live templates would know...
iBook G4 1.5GB RAM, Live 8 APC Edition, Reason 4.0, APC-40, UC-33, Trigger Finger
www.e1beats.com

Trypset

Post by Trypset » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:25 pm

i know how to write scripts....i use a korg electribe to control Ableton.....had to convert all the NRPNs to usable CCs in MIDI OX.....i just have no idea on where to start this task
TrypseT
Live 8 Full (not suite), ES-1 MKII, Microkorg, MPC 1000, 2 1200's, Ms. Pinky's, OSX, Edirol FA-101, and a crate 'o' wax

salatspinatra

Post by salatspinatra » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:43 pm

This only comes to mind because I had my own funny jumps recently. If you're using a User-Remote Script or you've just used Learn for automap, make sure that the resolution in Steps to your control is the way you like it. I had something to step through 16 options. When I set up the Knob to use 16 steps, it actually flew through the steps with a fraction of a turn. It's easy to overlook that one knob is set up with a different resolution than another, so take a look there. I know it's another dumbed-down explanation, but hope it helps.