Can anyone recommend the best set up for DJing with Live

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
metrowilliams

Can anyone recommend the best set up for DJing with Live

Post by metrowilliams » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:23 pm

Hello everyone. I am a music producer who wants to get into being a digital DJ. I'm going to use Abelton as the software but was wondering if anyone could recommend the best set up in terms of a controller and audio interface (or a combined unit).

There are so many on the market so what would really help is the advice of someone who uses Ableton for live DJ sets.

Many thanks

Metro

thoffir

Post by thoffir » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:22 pm

i started with m-audio x-session pro (just midi controller). the good thing is that it has classic dj mixer feeling and it's cheap (flaw is that it feels cheap as well).

within two weeks i upgraded it to korg zero4 which is in my opinion perfect dj tool for live (if i was a designer i would do the same thing). you get 4 channel mixer, audio interface, midi interface and midi controller in one box. i still like m-audio as portable, light solution but i've found optimal setup only after few home sessions with zero4.

take also a look at this thread: http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... art=15#top

sytnh

Post by sytnh » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:39 am

i also started with x-session pro, making the mix in live, but i really think EQ3 is no good for mixing, maybe you would like to check some other DJ-eq plugins.

my current setup:

4 live channels routed to all of my interface (Presonus Firebox) outputs and i mix (and cue) in the mixer, it sounds so much better, and i use controller for looping, fx, navigation, one shot samples, etc. i use BCF2000 and BCR2000 as controllers, and a M-AUDIO midisport midi interface, i know it's not that portable, as it requires midi cables and BCF2000 and BCR2000 are not USB-bus powered, but i perform with a mate as a duet and we do not like to get bored.

i think it's all about what you want to do, if you want something portable or not, but i like to take advantage of live's potential as a live remixing tool so well we need a lot of knobs and stuff.

other cool and popular controllers you can use for djing in live are uc-33 and novation remote sl (the one with no keyb), as for interface, Presonus Firebox is neat, cheap compared to other interfaces, and it has a really powerfull headphone output

obeyendevor

Post by obeyendevor » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:24 pm

I would second the Firebox, VERY reliable, very sturdy and sounds great. plus you get two extra outputs unlike many competitors. The UC-33 works excellent in my opinion. You CAN translate midi controllers to keyboard buttons for mouseless DJing. plenty of information out there. The korg Zero 4? If I had a thousand bucks maybe :(
iBook G4 1.5GB RAM, Live 8 APC Edition, Reason 4.0, APC-40, UC-33, Trigger Finger
www.e1beats.com

thoffir

Post by thoffir » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:02 pm

obeyendevor wrote:The korg Zero 4? If I had a thousand bucks maybe :(
got mine 6 months old from ebay for about $660

maxmin

Post by maxmin » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:21 pm

What about Native Instruments Audio Kontrol? It is a combination of Soundcard and Control-Surface - you get an big Knob and 3 Buttons and you can assign many DJ-ish parameters to them, e.g. X-Fader to the Knob and Effects to the Buttons. On the Headphones-Output you have a very convenient Toggle-Button to switch between Main- and and Monitor-Sound.

If you don't want to spend double money on a Soundcard and a Control-Surface, this would be my choice. I am using it myself on a Mac and am very pleased!
Max Min | I make songs at http://www.hellomaxmin.com

snakedogman

Post by snakedogman » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:56 am

not sure how you're gonna do real-time dj controlling with just one knob and three buttons?
Unless you're running audio out to a seperate dj mixer i guess.
I did my first gig using a UC-33 not too long ago. That works very well: has enough faders and knobs to control eq and effects for multiple tracks, and it's pretty cheap.
I was using an m-audio audiophile firewire interface.

Faderfoxes are also great although you'd probably need to have more than one to get enough controls if you're dj-ing more than 2 decks.