OK, brainstormers, how to do this??

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Neutrality

Post by Neutrality » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:34 am

ok, cool, I havent tried using drum racks.

But I have a feeling that when I map the mute/solo buttons to notes on the keyboard I will get the same old problem. It wont be momentary. IE: It will take one press to unmute it and another to mute it again.

This lack of being able to map Note Off info is quite an annoyance.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:33 am

Is it done? I was so stoned yesterday, I am very surprised if I helped you...
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:58 pm

The two press mute/unmute thing is true - sorry wasn't thinking clearly. Maybe something like midiOX or bome's to capture note off information? Dunno if that fits in with my definition of simple and lightweight instrument tho'
Random potentially irrelevant thought splurt - sampler can recognise note off data.

obeyendevor

Post by obeyendevor » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:45 pm

Hey I have been asking for something like this for a while but I am stumped on something, How do you load something in Sampler and have it loop with any tempo? Like I really want to be able to load like 5 drumloops and select between them with a single knob. That is my ultra dream!
iBook G4 1.5GB RAM, Live 8 APC Edition, Reason 4.0, APC-40, UC-33, Trigger Finger
www.e1beats.com

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:33 pm

Or, if you own bidule, I made a patch that does exactly that...
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

Neutrality

Post by Neutrality » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:52 pm

Yeah, if sampler could intergrate some of the properties that clips have, like song pointer info so loops could be played like clips. IE: Loops start at what ever beat position clips are in when you hit a key. And warp with tempo etc. That would rock. AND, it would make Sampler uniquely different to any third party sampler, which at the moment it's not, really...
I don't think Ableton have exploited its intergartion enough.
Sampler 2.0 please.

And no, I don't even know what bidule even is. I'll look it up now...

Neutrality

Post by Neutrality » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:54 pm

Random potentially irrelevant thought splurt - sampler can recognise note off data.
For the controls? Or just for the sample playback?

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:14 pm

For some reason I'm still working so I can't check this out - but I recall note off being one of the parameters that can be used to control sampler on that midi mapping page after modulation - the page that generally makes me think - why can't these functions be controlled by macros. I don't know what can be controlled by it tho'

I'd like sampler to develop as well, just allowing me to automate loop parameters would be a bonus.

Neutrality

Post by Neutrality » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:47 am

I see I see. That is an interesting thought. I'll fiddle around with that too, after work. Hanging out on the ableton forum at work is alright though eh?

Another thought I had is the possibility of using an argeggiator mode that lets you hold one note and have it change to a different note on Note Off. Any note really. You could then map these two notes to turn something on and off, getting around the double press keyboard note issue (it's really irking me that one, damn blast)

I haven't used arpeggiator much so not sure if this is possible. Also, even if it is, MIDI map probably wont recognise post MIDI effect notes as control comands so it's probably compleatly futile. But a thought none the less...

Neutrality

Post by Neutrality » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:48 am

Midi yoke! That will make MIDI map listen!

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:11 pm

greetings! I have made a rack using all ableton instruments to get the job done.

it involves a lot of simplers and sidechaining gates. When you play the simplers is opens the gates and plays the loop you want. I think your loops need to be the exact tempo of your current project to work, but that is easily done by bringing the loop into your project, consolidating and slappin back into the simpler.

i made it in a live pack so my loops would be in there and in the right tempo for you to test it out. they are library loops now that i think about it, but whatev.

I hope you love it! you still need a constant C3 to generate the loops in time, but that takes less set up than mapping notes, and this rack maps them to your keyboard automatically.

This rack is available for a one time membership fee of a high five.

http://www.jeffekblad.com/Arts/loopatron.alp
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

Aequitas123

Post by Aequitas123 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:04 pm

high-five!

Neutrality

Post by Neutrality » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:01 pm

I love you
I wont be able to try this out till tomorrow, but still...you are loved :D

Neutrality

Post by Neutrality » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:08 pm

Oh, and a big HI-FI High-Five!

Neutrality

Post by Neutrality » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:54 pm

Hey,

I have tried out your rack and it works a treat, It does exactly what I wanted and is really flexible for expansion. I have made up one with 27 loops and it works perfectly. Starting to chew some cpu cycles but is really astoundingly easy on it considering the amount of simplers and gates running.

So a very sincere thank you for your work. It is greatly appreciated.
Thank you Thank you Thank you :D