OK, brainstormers, how to do this??

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Neutrality

OK, brainstormers, how to do this??

Post by Neutrality » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:41 pm

I want to have an instrument loaded with pre-recorded audio loops that I play live over a beat. There is a different pitched audio loop on every key of the keyboard, about 10 in total. Like a mellotron. Or just any sample patch really. Nothing unusual at all here.

The thing is, when I play the loops live along with the beat, they must not play from the start of the loop, but from position that is relative to the tempo and beat position.
To clarify. It would be like selecting clips playing in legato mode, so it's like they are looping in sync with the track at all times and I am just effectively unmuting them seperately in any given order.

I know I can do all this easily with clips and channel automation.
Just load all the clips into a scene, hit play, and midi map the channel switches to 'play' which channel I want to hear.

But I want a simple and hopefully light weight instrument that will do all this, one I can load up on a midi track like any other instrument.

I have sampler and live 7.

Any ideas??

Aequitas123

Post by Aequitas123 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:55 pm

I'm pretty sure Daft Punk does exactly that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fp6aKWAOcw

check at 2:58

I'm sure theres several methods for doing that, however i'm not best qualified to comment.

Neutrality

Post by Neutrality » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:04 pm

Hey, great clip. Those funny robots have all the tricks...

Aequitas123

Post by Aequitas123 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:11 pm

Could you not just load the segmented clips from the samples you want into Sampler and sync them to a controller, then just trigger them as they come?

Neutrality

Post by Neutrality » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:15 pm

Could you not just load the segmented clips from the samples you want into Sampler and sync them to a controller, then just trigger them as they come?
Sync them to a controller?

Can you elaborate on this for me?

Cheers

Aequitas123

Post by Aequitas123 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:27 pm

Well for instance i have an Axiom 25 that has 8 Pads. I would load a sample into Sampler, slice it into 8 parts and route them to the 8 pads i have on my controller. Now when i hit each pad it triggers a different section of the song.

Neutrality

Post by Neutrality » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:37 pm

Well for instance i have an Axiom 25 that has 8 Pads. I would load a sample into Sampler, slice it into 8 parts and route them to the 8 pads i have on my controller. Now when i hit each pad it triggers a different section of the song.
OK, this is different to what I want though.

If I did this, every separate chunk would play from its beginning, right?

Imagine a scene with 10 clips all playing at once but all muted and I have a keyboard to solo any channel I want. All the loops are in sync with the song no matter when I press the key. The key is like opening a gate.

I want this in an instrument.[/code]

glamourboy

Post by glamourboy » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:48 pm

not at all sure about this but:

couldn't you just make a bunch of legato audio clips and assign keys to those? i suppose triggering should be set to gate.

at work, gonna try this later.

good luck.

Neutrality

Post by Neutrality » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:19 pm

Yeah, would probably work.

But the thing is this:

I want a solution that doesn't use clips.

Like something that uses sampler/simpler so it could be used with any Live Set. Just load it up and bam, it works.

It's possibly not possible.

I would just like to brain storm this idea because a forum of brains beats my fuzzy ol solitary head :wink:

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:59 pm

What about puting your loops in simplers in the same rack, and map buttons for soloing the chains?
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

Neutrality

Post by Neutrality » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:08 am

Cant map solo buttons in racks :?
this *would* work though I'm sure.

Yeah, just playing around with this now.

I have compromised the 'no clips' rule for now and am using one midi clip that basically holds down 5 notes for the duration.
On these notes I load loops with simpler so they all play at once together.
Now how to switch the outputs on and off with notes?

Mapping the 'speaker' buttons on racks doesn't work because you need to hit the key twice. Once on, once off. (I want to avoid third party midi translator tools to map the note off, simple elegant solutions!)

Mapping chain select doesn't work because that stops the midi getting to the simplers.

Hmmmm. Keep the ideas flowin

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:24 am

And maybe adding a rack after each simpler, just for muting, unmuting?
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

Neutrality

Post by Neutrality » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:45 am

And maybe adding a rack after each simpler, just for muting, unmuting?
Good idea!

OK. I've got a basic 5 loop model working.

1) load 5 loops in 5 simplers mapped to 5 different notes in one rack

2)have a midi clip that plays all 5 notes repeatedly

3)load an effect rack after each simpler and drop in a simpler dummy plug, I used EQ3.

4)have each effect rack on a different chain select and map the chain selector to notes (different notes than the simplers are on!)

This lets you have constant looping samples playing in sync and switch the outputs on and off using notes.

The drawback with this method is you can only play one loop at a time.
It's monophonic!

Need to find a way to do this same thing but be able to hold down 'chords' of loops, all playing in sync.

Hmmmm. I'll sleep on it. Getting late here in London....

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:54 am

One possibility:

put all clips into one channel, set them to legato mode, no quantization, assign them to keys. Now make a copy of one of those clips, set it's clip volume to silent, put it below the others. Select all clips above, set follow action to "play last clip", follow action time to the smallest amount (0-0-1).

Downsides:
-This is not an instrument, you need to assign the keys newly in any new set.
-The clips will always play 1/16thnote longer than the time that you hold the keys.
-You have to trigger it correctly on the first beat as its not quantized.

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:27 am

There's a recent post on replicating MPD24's track mute mode that might be handy.. arg can't find it. Basic idea is use a drum rack - have all samples playing all the time and midi map the channel mutes to switch between tracks. Props to Crash for thinking of this.