Help! Tight snares for house music

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
JMFOne

Help! Tight snares for house music

Post by JMFOne » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:33 pm

Hey Guys

I'm really struggling to get my snares sounding sharp and tight like in the track Jim Rivers-Empathy for example. They either mud the sound of the kick drum or sound too wimpy and I know good eqing will fix this but I have tried everything and usually get a result that sounds too distant or near. I've then tried to BUS the kick and snare together in same compressor but I think it's more of an eq issue than compression, the compression just kinda gels what is already there.

Please lend me your expertise guys lol

xherv

Post by xherv » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:31 pm

Haha confusion on posting . . .

I've got a couple tricks I've been using for snares a bit lately - use a second copy of the snare sound detuned and dropping in amplitude -12db or -20db. Splitting the stereo L/R maybe 5-10 (on 0-50 scale), putting one through a light reverb. Layering kicks and snares with a common sample (clap or hat or tom or something, very lightly and heavily EQ'd).

Snares I think are just really demanding, they take a lot of precision and they can't be done before the rest of the track is more or less there. Layering a snare sound or layering snare effects is like building a house of cards, should be done with a lot less force than other sounds.

You might be able to escape some snare hell with 2 or 4 or 8 snare variations early on and just kind of keeping those around, I do this sometimes and while they aren't ever the snare I want in the end it does give me something to tweak if I'm stuck on the snare sound when I don't want to be.
http://www.soundcloud.com/xherv
I know EVERYTHING that I know and you don't know, and don't know what I don't know that you know, so I'll ignore that stuff. Wassup now?

obeyendevor

Post by obeyendevor » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:24 pm

hey unrelated but soundcloud is a pretty awesome site, think I am going to join. no limits to file size, it GRAPHICALLY SHOWS THE TRACK which is really cool, its a berlin startup went public in october

-maybe try some filtering, low cut and boost some of the mid. also you could look into sidechaining, have the snare push down the kick or certain freq
iBook G4 1.5GB RAM, Live 8 APC Edition, Reason 4.0, APC-40, UC-33, Trigger Finger
www.e1beats.com

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:47 am

I have a 2 part snare-creation tutorial on Youtube, if it helps:

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvImLI_KHGw&fmt=18
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQP3XAfdBtI&fmt=18

As far as keeping your snares (or any drum, for that matter) snappy, make sure to experiment a LOT with the various envelopes (especially filter and pitch). Specifically, a bit of playing with the attack and decay parameters will be just the ticket I think.

Good luck,

- Nick

domkane

Post by domkane » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:15 am

Tight snare = kill the low frequency on it
Producer | Engineer | Sound-Designer

Sound designer for Moog (Phatty Series, Animoog, Sub37), FXpansion (D-CAM, Geist), Steve Duda & Deadmau5 (Nerve & Serum)

ARTIST: http://www.domkane.com
STUDIO: http://www.kaneaudio.com

snakedogman

Post by snakedogman » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:41 pm

start with the right sample(s) ?
The snare in that Jim Rivers track has a 909-ish sound to it with some compression to accentuate the attack and maybe some eq to give it a bit more bite.
Hard to say what specific settings or fx to use since it depends on the sample and mix.

computercontrolled

Post by computercontrolled » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:21 pm

Use more than one snare..sometimes i layer up to 3 snares,bounce them and then apply eq and comp. Ive gotten some really great results.,depends a lot on the track, some tracks ive done i use single snare and sounds great.

kraze

Post by kraze » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:52 pm

Keep your transients in check.

I use this (and free to try) great plug by stillwell called Transient Monster that does it great, i actually prefer it over the one in the Sonnox bundle. Their Bad Buss Mojo is badass too, it's sort of an emulation of using mixing desk paralell saturation.

This is different to using compression to add the snap because it doesn't squash any dynamics, it just saturates which sounds a bit more analouge.

laird

Post by laird » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:14 pm

you can also drag your snares forward or back slightly so they don't exactly overlap your kick drum thumps, this can help without sounding like "its off the grid".

JMFOne

Post by JMFOne » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:07 pm

Great advice guys thanks alot :)