Ok I'm new to sampling, can I do this?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:33 am

michhill8 wrote: With simpler (in live Lite) can I assign each key a different sample?? Basically can I turn my MIDI keyboard into an Akai sampler (or something along those lines)??

THanks in advance.
Simpler only holds one sample that you can then play at different pitches on your keyboard.
You could build a rack that contains one simpler for each key. But I believe that live lite doesn't allow rack-editing (?)

However the drumracks are more or less what you are looking for. You can drop a sample on a cell in the drumrack and then play it by hitting the note that is assigned to this cell.

And then again, session view is a huge "sampler". Each clip slot can get assigned to a note for triggering. You can specify different launch modes, quantization etc. for each clip.

michhill8

Post by michhill8 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:23 am

by drumracks do you mean impulse?? I think I tried that but the samples cut off early. I assumed this was because impulse was designed for drum clips which are short.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:36 am

no, I man dumracks. available in live 7 only. If you're on live 6 or lower, use the session view as a sampler, as described above.