Sub Kick Trick w/ the Ableton Filter Delay...

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
maze23a

Post by maze23a » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:41 am

Maybe stupid question but i don't dig what this exactly is about?
Is this for the drums only?(adding more bass to the kick)
Cause someone here mentioned this should be added
to the whole track!

Thanx

kaffein

Post by kaffein » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:26 pm

@all, No problemo!

@Maze23a,
Place it on a kick track. :)

djlimbs

Post by djlimbs » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:18 pm

this is great, thanks!!

Night Spirit

Post by Night Spirit » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:18 pm

Changed my mind. I like the filter delay method better after using both that and autofilter for a few sessions:-)
NIGHT SPIRIT on Soundcloud
MacBook Pro Retina | MOTU Traveler mk3 | Ableton Live 9 Beta | SCI 440 Tom | TR-707 | DX7 | Predator

Superchibisan

Post by Superchibisan » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:36 pm

i just use kick ass drum samples and compression.

less processing!

lezef

Really beautiful trick !

Post by lezef » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:42 am

Hi, Congratulations ! Really nice tip to make those rumbling effects on basses and rythms. Very usefull and awesome when I discovered it ! I tried different methods since, only on kicks and basslines and it's a new dimension for me.
Thank you so much again.
Have fun !

Woody Aki

Post by Woody Aki » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:45 pm

Wicked tip...coupled with some tweaks from PSP Vintagewarmer, it really brought out the best out of this troublesome kick I was using on this track...thanks Kaffein!

I wonder whether you can apply the same technique to tighten up other instruments given that you input the relevant frequency to the instrument, e.g. hats. Or am I asking for too much here?

mr-magoo

slow mo

Post by mr-magoo » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:07 am

just tryed that tip

good idea to beef up a "wimpy" kick

cheers...........

xherv

Post by xherv » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:35 am

Woody Aki wrote:Wicked tip...coupled with some tweaks from PSP Vintagewarmer, it really brought out the best out of this troublesome kick I was using on this track...thanks Kaffein!

I wonder whether you can apply the same technique to tighten up other instruments given that you input the relevant frequency to the instrument, e.g. hats. Or am I asking for too much here?
Technically, if I understand correctly, part of the trick is the relationship between 20ms and 50hz. 20ms is one cycle @ 50hz. So if you change the frequency but keep the delay time you'll start to get artifacts that color the sound. These artifacts can be interesting on other instruments, but also color the sound (w/ some pitchy glitching - comb filtering).

Resonator technically operates on the same principles, although it's hard to tune at super low frequencies. Conceptually, reverb is sort of a converse function - reverbs try to avoid pitch-y artifacts that result from constant delay times. Depending on exactly what you're after these effects are the obvious higher frequency siblings, although really there's a ton of stuff you can do with a lot of Live effects (Grain Delay, for instance) along these lines.

I'm quickly approaching or possibly past the threshold of my knowledge so I'll just stop here . . .
http://www.soundcloud.com/xherv
I know EVERYTHING that I know and you don't know, and don't know what I don't know that you know, so I'll ignore that stuff. Wassup now?

baseinstinct

Post by baseinstinct » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:06 pm

And how to audition only the added effect?

I suspect it may done with utility difference.

schmermer

Re:

Post by schmermer » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:24 pm

Meef Chaloin wrote:i presume he is talking about using a 50hz sine wave and gating so it opens when the kick plays.
anybody have a tutorial on how to do it this way?

docprosper

Re: Sub Kick Trick w/ the Ableton Filter Delay...

Post by docprosper » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:16 pm

cool stuff... thanks!
Funk N. Furter wrote:Post properly.
Ableton Live Suite | M4L | Powerbook | Launchpad | APC40 | Faderfox | 2x1200 | Xone:96 | ...
---> http://soundcloud.com/kilcraft