File renaming script?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Moosh

File renaming script?

Post by Moosh » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:14 am

Hi everyone,

I have been using live for some time for DJing purposes. To this end, I warped a lot of tracks over time, and have a lot of .asd files.

Now over time I have also developed various approaches for organizing my library, renaming my source mp3 or wav files so I can better recognize and use them. One program I use is Media Monkey (on the PC) to rename, retag files, etc. However i mainly use Live on the Mac.

This organization process now means that I have a lot of source files that are no longer linked to their warped .asd files. This has meant over time, a lot of rewarping, which is a real pain in the *ss, plus I am starting to get carpal tunnel (sp?).

What I'd like to do is have some sort of script or GUI drag and drop, or some sort of computer animated process for allowing me to pick a source file (mp3 or wav) and the target file (the .asd) and have the target automatically renamed with the source filename as the prefix to .asd... i.e., reestablish the linkage between the two.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I am not a programmer... and I have looked at file renaming tools. Nothing I found lets you rename a file based on the name of another file, i.e., the comparison, or source/target concept.

Has anyone solved this problem and is willing to share the secret?

Thanks and best,

Manish
MacBook Pro 2.14 GHz, Core 2 Duo, 4G RAM | Live 8 | Apogee Duet | Access Virus TI Polar | Access Virus TI Snow | Novation Remote Zero SL | Novation Nocturn | Novation Supernova | Atmosphere

http://www.loopscious.com