How to Generate a Sine Wave at Very Specific Frequency?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Night Spirit

How to Generate a Sine Wave at Very Specific Frequency?

Post by Night Spirit » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:13 am

What would the best way to generate a sine wave at very specific frequencies be in Ableton? Ive been experimenting with binaural beats (audio hypnosis stuff) and need to produce sine waves at very specific frequencies (315 hz and 325 hz for example). Using the digital sine soundform in ableton I can add resonance to a specific frequency, or use the cutoff at a specific frequency, but the sine is still is triggered by a midi note which is not the exact frequency i need. So, the best I can do here it seems is to trigger the sine with a midi note in the right ballpark and then detune it to the specific frequency. Problem is this is not very precise and I cant tell exactly what frequency i detuned to even with the spectrum analyizer. Is there a better way to generate a sine with a specific frequency in ableton? If not are there any good third party plugins with oscillators that will tune to an exact specific frequency like I need? Thanks!
NIGHT SPIRIT on Soundcloud
MacBook Pro Retina | MOTU Traveler mk3 | Ableton Live 9 Beta | SCI 440 Tom | TR-707 | DX7 | Predator

xherv

Post by xherv » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:15 am

Try 'fixed' oscillators in Operator.
http://www.soundcloud.com/xherv
I know EVERYTHING that I know and you don't know, and don't know what I don't know that you know, so I'll ignore that stuff. Wassup now?

Night Spirit

Post by Night Spirit » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:23 am

Hmmm. Dont have operator in my version of ableton.Damn. Maybe time to upgrade. Any other ideas?
NIGHT SPIRIT on Soundcloud
MacBook Pro Retina | MOTU Traveler mk3 | Ableton Live 9 Beta | SCI 440 Tom | TR-707 | DX7 | Predator

Yoseph

Post by Yoseph » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:33 am

I've tried this before also. Go hypnosis! Just google oscillator vsts. Or you can try to use the demo of oscillator, record the frequencies you want into another track, then play them back, making sure they start out in phase.

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:39 am

http://mda.smartelectronix.com/

there's a plug in in there called Test Tone, give it a shot

MBP 2.3 GHz i5, Live 9.6.1, Push, MPD32, Rane SL2

CalvinCorreli

Re: How to Generate a Sine Wave at Very Specific Frequency?

Post by CalvinCorreli » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:55 pm

I know this is a super old thread, but I found it while searching for how to make binaural beats in Ableton.

There's plenty of ways to do it, but I wanted something even simpler and more straightforward, so I ended up writing my own Max for Live device (my first!), and sharing it.

Here's the details and the device and exactly how I made it:

http://calvincorreli.com/2017/03/01/cre ... eton-live/

Free for the taking.

Rokananda

Re: How to Generate a Sine Wave at Very Specific Frequency?

Post by Rokananda » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:35 pm

Even if this whole topic is an old one I wanted to share something here;

Operator is the way to go when you have it.

Otherwise there is a simple basic sine wave tone generator shared as a max device.

After doing some tests I would like to affirm that we can type precise values on Operator;
Using fix mode oscillator. Typing a precise frequency on it with a 3 decimal precision. once you type enter the number is shown rounded but actually, internally it is kept precise, as the exact frequency you typed in, witch is a great surprise.
I made a simple test to make sure of it;
running very precise Frequencies like 101.032 as an example and 108.534 on the other oscillator of one Operator devise.
when typing enter after entering the precise values the pot says 101 and 109. But duplicating my device and retyping 101 and 109 on the oscillators and then playing them together will show some phase issues, also watching the graph you can see that actually it kept the precise numbers in memory on the first device because you can see the phase delay.

cheers