Why Won't Auto-Tune let me sound like T-Pain?

Share your Ableton Live secrets here
Byagi

Why Won't Auto-Tune let me sound like T-Pain?

Post by Byagi » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:05 am

I'm trying to do this jokey sort of recording, with Live, and I can totally use Autotune, but after following one of the many tutorials on youtube, I still cant get that T-Pain vocal sound. Does anyone here have any tips for using Auto Tune with live in order to get it to sound correctly?

The only sound I get is sort of scratchy and below my voice - it doesnt really stand out much, i guess.

Thanks for your help!

Atomikat

Post by Atomikat » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:06 am

Yes, you really have to sing very bad for it to work good. :wink:

CHARLIE!

Post by CHARLIE! » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:06 pm

Wait did you buy autotune just so you could play a joke???

I want autotune :D

infiniteB

Post by infiniteB » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:11 pm

To sound like one of the greatest singers of ANY generation is not easy. T-Pain is easily up there with Stevie Wonder, Prince, Paul McCartney, Robert Plant, Ozzy, Luther Vandross, Billie Holiday, and Whitney Houston. It will take exercise of both the vocal chords, as well as the body. It will take running up hill with carrying small tree trunks (as T-Pain did with training to be a singer as a youth). It will take listening Young Joc and Britanny Spears remixes. It will take bridging the gap between Ancient Celtic Hymns and Rihanna. It will take discipline. Autotune, nor Beat Repeat, not even Simple Delay is gonna do that for you. Take it in stride, grasshopper.
PRODUCER/LYRICIST

(SNEAK PREVIEW OF MY ALBUM)
SOUNDCLOUD
http://soundcloud.com/infinitebeyond/
MYSPACE
http://www.myspace.com/infiniteb
TWITTER:
http://twitter.com/InfiniteBeyond

966sf

Post by 966sf » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:33 am

In order to sound like T Pain, you have to grow out dreads and wear really goofy hats! That's where his sound comes from.

But joking aside, the thing with auto tune is that you STILL have to sing the right note for it to work. Make sure you've assigned the right key for your song as well. T-Pain can actually sing without the autotune a lot better than a lot of the haters out there.
Macbook Pro 15" Core Duo 2.16ghz 2GB ram; Live 6.0.10; Live 7.0.7; Digi 003 Rack; Novation Remote Zero SL;Faderfox micromodul LC2, Korg Kontrol49; M-Audio Trigger Finger

BassTooth

Re: Why Won't Auto-Tune let me sound like T-Pain?

Post by BassTooth » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:26 am

Byagi wrote:Q: Why Won't Auto-Tune let me sound like T-Pain?

A: because you're not black.

oops that was racist. 8O