The Official Xone 4D Midi Mapping Thread

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
aeon_flux

Re: The Official Xone 4D Midi Mapping Thread

Post by aeon_flux » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:54 am

arachn1d wrote: So I create a "Return A", which goes to "FX A", which has a reverb rack on it... then I put all 4 channels "Send A" 100%... how would I hear that FX? There's no way to do it unless I set up 3 tracks and then the 4th one acts as the "FX channel" correct? 7/8 would have to be mapped as the output for the sends?
right. that completly sucks. xone 4d and korg zero4 has both that problem. the only designer that solved that problem is ecler in its evo5. evo has separate firewire in that goes into mix. so you can feed all 4 channels with your sounds and redirect return tracks output directly into main mix.

moreover evo5 has separate PFL firewire in which both korg and xone lacks... without that feature, if you use zero4 in full midi mode you can't cue tracks in any way in your headphones.

jamief

Post by jamief » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:35 pm

Any other Xone 4 D users out there.Just got a 4D. Have the 3d as well.

best
:)

lovefyi

Post by lovefyi » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:08 pm

jamief wrote:Any other Xone 4 D users out there.Just got a 4D. Have the 3d as well.

best
:)

Hello all! I've had a xone 4D for a few years now, and IMO its still the best sounding and most versatile.

I really need some help guys/gals.
I never looked to ableton to mix tracks, ive been more or less a traditionalist dj for over 16 years...... Recently using serato and cdjs.
Now I'm interested in seeing how you can use the xone as a mixer and instrument. But ive only seen it from afar. I've watched all the tutorial videos I can find, but none really discuss a good template or a good workflow. I've been using 3 decks and a mixer, nothing like djing in ableton, with compression style smart mixing and rack effect after rack effect. I know I can click. Press/turn/move control and bam it's mapped but I really need to see how others set it up and how others use it to perform, hence seeking a good template to get me started and then make my own. Just the way I learn. Help?

alexrm1x

Post by alexrm1x » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:19 pm

Hi guys,

I have a Xone 4D and Ableton 8.

I have the same "problem".
:(

I dreamt about having 8 tracks controlled by each vertical MIDI controller, and having the two top rotary knobs and sends , but Im seeing that my FX sends effects can not return properly.

Any other ideas about this configuration?

Shoul I forget to control 8 tracks in ableton with Xone 4D?
If I discard the SENDs use, how would you use these two faders per channel?

Thanks,

alexrm1x

5id

Post by 5id » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:08 am

You could set up 8 channels with 2 going into each of the 4ds channels.

1+2 live -ch 1 xone, 3+4 live -ch 2 xone, 5+6 live - ch3 xone, 7+8 live - ch4 xone,

Set up 4 sets of returns

ch1+2 returns A+B,
ch3+4 returns C+D,
ch5+6 returns E+F,
ch7+8 returns G+H,

Then send A+B to channel 1 xone,
C+D to channel 2 xone,
E+F to channel 3 xone,
G+H to channel 4 xone,

Hope you understand what i mean there is always some way to send audio anywhere you want with LIVE !

You will have to highlight the channels in LIVE preferences for output configuration.
Xone:DB4, MBP, and a lovely set of one's n' two's

cypher

Post by cypher » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:18 am

I don't use FX sends yet

Still mapping my bugger !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mac Pro, 8 core, 3.2ghz, 3TB internal HDs, 16gb RAM, Rollin' with Vinyl, Traktor Scratch Pro and coded vinyls, a Xone 4D and of course Ableton Live 5.2.2, and all music etc backed up regular !!!!!!!!! word. Also a max'd up to the limit Macbook Pro

lovefyi

Post by lovefyi » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:38 pm

Did anyone ever actually post a template?

Right now I'm looking for a template/inspiration for use with serato and the bridge using an apc40 alongside.
I'm trying to figure what I can map that I'd want on the xone having the apc40.
I'd love some input if you've got some.
My goal is to do a mash up of djing cuts of produced material as well as home cooked loops.
Thx

JDFS

Post by JDFS » Wed May 02, 2012 5:59 am

aeon_flux wrote:
arachn1d wrote: So I create a "Return A", which goes to "FX A", which has a reverb rack on it... then I put all 4 channels "Send A" 100%... how would I hear that FX? There's no way to do it unless I set up 3 tracks and then the 4th one acts as the "FX channel" correct? 7/8 would have to be mapped as the output for the sends?
right. that completly sucks. xone 4d and korg zero4 has both that problem. the only designer that solved that problem is ecler in its evo5. evo has separate firewire in that goes into mix. so you can feed all 4 channels with your sounds and redirect return tracks output directly into main mix.

moreover evo5 has separate PFL firewire in which both korg and xone lacks... without that feature, if you use zero4 in full midi mode you can't cue tracks in any way in your headphones.
Or use the 9/10 soundcard output (SPDIF) and convert it with a DAC and hook it up to the FX Return 1 or 2. With this way you can use 4 channels in Live and use the Xone's FX Return above the channels to manipulate the sound :).

Haxenhans

Post by Haxenhans » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:13 am

no templates for ableton anyone?

marksaidso

Post by marksaidso » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:59 am

looks like im the only one alive that still uses this thing with ableton eh

dgsiii

Post by dgsiii » Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:39 pm

JDFS wrote:
Wed May 02, 2012 5:59 am
aeon_flux wrote:

Or use the 9/10 soundcard output (SPDIF) and convert it with a DAC and hook it up to the FX Return 1 or 2. With this way you can use 4 channels in Live and use the Xone's FX Return above the channels to manipulate the sound :).
Another option for Mac (not yet tried, but see no problem with it) would be to set up an aggregate device and then send your FX return(s) to your regular computer output. Then a simple 3.5mm jack to stereo RCA phono cable into the back of the 4D should work.

I'm moving my setup to digital and so I am researching the 4D before pulling the trigger. Seems great, just need to work out how to navigate clips!