how to group all the channel volumes for global channel vol

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Scratch-D

how to group all the channel volumes for global channel vol

Post by Scratch-D » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:28 pm

Can one of you ableton Guru's explain how to grouping all the channel volumes to be able to globaly turn down all channels a db or two without going into each channel and subtracting it there?

David Noller

Dynamix II

nbinder

Post by nbinder » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:51 pm

Insert a new audio track, disable the input and set the monitor to "auto".

Then on each track that you want to include into this group set "audio to" to this new audio track.

This new audio track controls now the overall level of the "group".

You can - of course - also drop effects on this track which will then be for the whole "group".

laird

Post by laird » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:31 pm

or use the Master Fader and decrease it 2dB

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:59 pm

nbinder wrote:Insert a new audio track, disable the input and set the monitor to "auto".

Then on each track that you want to include into this group set "audio to" to this new audio track.

This new audio track controls now the overall level of the "group".

You can - of course - also drop effects on this track which will then be for the whole "group".
I'm pretty sure what the original poster means is how do you lower *all* the individual faders of each track by the same amount, at the same time. Like in Cubase, I can select all tracks, do "link channels" and then lowering one fader lowers them all by the same amount. I've also been wondering how to achieve the same thing in Ableton......anybody?
-M.
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

laird

Post by laird » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:09 pm

there is no link faders command like in cubase.

Either create a submit audio track and route everything there, or use the Master fader and make your life easy, it won't kill your audio quality unless you are making -100dB adjustments.

blitit

Post by blitit » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:47 pm

the only way you could make "link channels" is by mapping each volume of each audio track to 1 fader in a midi controller

But, if u are like me and lot of people who only use mouse to mix and stuff, you can create a send channel and send all those audio tracks that you want to group into that send (output: send only). At least thats what i do.

nbinder

Post by nbinder » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:11 am

If you are trying to lower the volume of ALL tracks, simply turn down the master volume, yes. There is no clipping or such on a single channel. My tip was meant to help him if he wanted to lower the volumes of several tracks in groups.