easy way to re-arrange song structure?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
ponybob

easy way to re-arrange song structure?

Post by ponybob » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:26 am

howdy!

is there an easy way to re-arrange your song in arrangement-view?

for example: mark different parts of your song as A,B,C and then jump from C to A and so on.....

many thanks!
pony

nbinder

Post by nbinder » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:00 pm

Direct jump marks aren't included in Live (yet).

However cut&paste should be easy... make sure you have collapsed all tracks (with alt+click on the arrow) to make them fit on the screen or at least be more compact.

stonee

Post by stonee » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:14 pm

highlight the bars you want, put the loop brace around it, and then click a track in the loop brace to select all of the track within that area. you can cut or copy that part of the song and move it to where ever you want.

laird

Post by laird » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:30 pm

Um.... SESSION VIEW is the easiest EASIEST way to rearrange and remix music that I've ever ever ever seen and the #1 reason I bought Live.

You can even highlight entire regions in arrangement view and copy them to session view with one easy command. Now your song, rather than going from left to right, is now recreated in all those handy little cell-type arrangements, and reordering or remixing is as easy as clicking on a new scene or clicking on different clips.

don't get stuck in arrangement, use session view!!!!!!!!! often.
I bounce between the two different views several times before finishing a song.

Usedtobe

Post by Usedtobe » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:42 am

you can assign a key or midi note to the track markers in the arrangement view. right click above the tracks to add a marker, then adjust global quantize to trigger them when you want. buddy before me's got it though, session view is the jam. i actually have trouble even making a track have one arrangement, just play it in session view like i would a song on an instrument.

ponybob

Post by ponybob » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:38 pm

thanks a lot....

never checked the session view.... guess its time to do it.... damn old logic habits ;-)

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:45 pm

ponybob wrote: never checked the session view....
8O

Wow. Session view is what Live is ALL about! Get in there!
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

stratusseeker

Post by stratusseeker » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:15 pm

laird wrote:Um.... SESSION VIEW
You can even highlight entire regions in arrangement view and copy them to session view with one easy command.
Can someone please help me figure this one out? It sounds cool, not sure how to do it though. I'm currently playing around with "capture and insert scene" with no luck. Maybe it's a different command?

laird

Post by laird » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:14 pm

So what have you tried?

If you highlight a region in Arrangement mode, and hit that command, then switch over to Session mode: all the horizontal bars you highlighted have become a row of cells in Session Mode. You have to switch modes to see what happened.

Try it with just one to start with. Once you know what you are doing, its very easy to "divide" a song up into sections and turn them all into "scenes" in Session view... "scenes" are a selection of "clips" arranged horizontally.
The manual has a pretty good description of all of Ableton's particular terminology.

(you can also use the same command from within session mode to create whole new, nicely organized "scenes" from a mishmash of (playing) clips.)

stratusseeker

Post by stratusseeker » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:28 pm

Laird- I'm starting to get it.
The culprit was the "back to arrangement" button

AND, it seems to grab all of the tracks even if I just highlight one track. Is this the way it is intended to work?

Thanks for your idea and help man!