Noobish question.. for Drums.

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
DrewWoodside

Noobish question.. for Drums.

Post by DrewWoodside » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:21 pm

Ok, so I record vocals and guitar songs on ableton. I'd like to add a simple drum line behind it. What is the best way to put drums on this sort of track where the guitar and vocals are down and i want to put drums on it. Do I use Drums from the midi effect rack section or the drum rack from the instruments section? I've been watching tutorial videos but I'm still having difficulty figuring out what to do. Do I need any additional hardware or software to achieve a simple drum line for a track? Any advice would be much appreciated.

thanks a lot!

BassTooth

Post by BassTooth » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:37 pm

Impulse = simple dums

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:53 pm

BassTooth wrote:Impulse = simple dums
+1

It's very easy to load up an Impulse and tweak your drums to taste. From there, you have basic access to the MIDI track for the impulse and you can program your drums as you would any other instrument.

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:28 am

you can also get the free demo of Addictive Drums.

It is 100% pure acoustic drums totally tweakable.

the demo gives you access to only one limited kit (kick, snare, hihtat and a crash), but really amazing, and without any time limitation.

Great sound, you'll bet there is a real drummer inside ;)

just load the vst on a midi track, build your patterns and jerk !!

laird

Post by laird » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:47 pm

+1 for adding an Impulse preset to a MIDI track.

Then just use your keyboard to pla ythe drums, or draw them in directly in the clip window.

As long as your guitar and vocals were played in sync to Live's metronome, you should be done in minutes.

If you just recorded guitar + vocals freeform, then you will probably want to look into "Warping" in the manual. Even if you don't use warping to change your guitar/vox to sync up with the rigid timing of the computer, it can help you figure out the basic tempo of your track as a good guide.