Recorded Audio Wont Play Out of No Where

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
tnismo88

Recorded Audio Wont Play Out of No Where

Post by tnismo88 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:22 pm

SUp guys?

I wrote a track that i recorded hardware synths with. Sounds sick and was alsmot finishing it up. One day i open it up to show a friend then all of the hardware synths except one will not play. All the chanels are on the audio is shown in arrangement but just no sound. I can not figure it out and it is pissing me off. Any ideas?

Aequitas123

Post by Aequitas123 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:19 pm

i love double negatives.

but seriously... do you mean software synths?

laird

Post by laird » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:12 pm

wow... confusing post.
I assume you mean you recorded the hardware synths to audio tracks.
Now only one is playing even though you can see all of them?

Did you "solo" the one track that's playing?

tnismo88

Post by tnismo88 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:04 pm

yeah i recorded my hardware synths into audio tracks. When i play back the song the audio i recorded will not play, but you can see the waveform. Nothing is solo'd and every track is on. This is the weirded problem i have had with live.

Any other ideas?

laird

Post by laird » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:13 pm

the myserious silent tracks may:

1. have volume set to 0
2. be routed to something other than "master output"
3. be being overriden by session-view clips. Hit "return to arrangement".
4. effects can make them silent or quiet.
5. really? Nothing soloed, not even a return track? No mute? No tracks disabled? Double-check.
6. I'm sure there's more. Pics help.

Keddy

Post by Keddy » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:16 am

The clips you can't hear, are they a different color than the ones you can? I've had something similar to this happen to me and it definitely had to do with session view overriding arrangement.
Inspiron 1520 - XP SP3 - Ableton Live7 - Reason 4 - M-Audio Axiom25 - Novation ReMote ZeroSL - Korg PadKontrol - M-Audio MobilePre - Ibanez SGR Bass - Hilo Ukulele

doogs

Post by doogs » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:08 am

Track Monitors set to 'In' and not 'Auto'....?

tnismo88

Post by tnismo88 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:50 pm

alright thanks for all the tips, but this is so fustrating. Im not a newb when it comes to live i have been using it for 2 years and have put out plenty of tracks.

Anyone know how to do screen shots with macs? ill triple check for all the things you have talked about but i have done that already and still no solution. Its so fustrating to see your audio but not being able to hear it right before you were about to complete it!!!!

thanks again guys! could this happen if i move the ableton project file to a new folder, but then it doesnt say samples are missing.

Aequitas123

Post by Aequitas123 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:14 pm

tnismo88 wrote:alright thanks for all the tips, but this is so fustrating. Im not a newb when it comes to live i have been using it for 2 years and have put out plenty of tracks.

Anyone know how to do screen shots with macs? ill triple check for all the things you have talked about but i have done that already and still no solution. Its so fustrating to see your audio but not being able to hear it right before you were about to complete it!!!!

thanks again guys! could this happen if i move the ableton project file to a new folder, but then it doesnt say samples are missing.
Its got to be one of the issues laird indicated. If you moved the files it would indicate the files are missing. Can you play any of the clips individually? In session view have you tried stopping all tracks and playing one?

tnismo88

Post by tnismo88 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:37 pm

Aequitas123 wrote:
tnismo88 wrote:alright thanks for all the tips, but this is so fustrating. Im not a newb when it comes to live i have been using it for 2 years and have put out plenty of tracks.

Its got to be one of the issues laird indicated. If you moved the files it would indicate the files are missing. Can you play any of the clips individually? In session view have you tried stopping all tracks and playing one?
yeah i even solo'd the track and tried to play it in session view and still no answer! its liek live wont recognize there is audio recorded. it plays the clip and shows the progress but just not sound.

Aequitas123

Post by Aequitas123 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:58 pm

is the clip volume up? this is different than the track volume.

try sending a screenshot. http://www.intermedia.net/support/kb/default.asp?id=923

tnismo88

Post by tnismo88 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:34 pm

FIGURED IT OUT!!

i guess my vst was going through fab filter, and for some reason the id number on my fab filter expired locking the plugin. I deleted it and finally my sound came back!

sweet. thanks for all the help guys!

FuckAss

Re: Recorded Audio Wont Play Out of No Where

Post by FuckAss » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:39 pm

Let this be a learning example for our future kids in trouble shooting.
Here we see how this apperently functioning person (he can write and read), was unable to help himself. It had taken him less than one second to disable all his plugins on the given track instance, but he chose instead to, quoting his own words, feel super frustrated for 6 FUCKING DAYS WTF.
I want all you kids to do such things automatically, instead of stealing the precious time from fellow humans because of your unwillingness to think

Second tip:
Now we are 11 years ahead in time, and I assume you folks have well trained mind, used to having to troubleshoot your devices and apps regularly,
So when you have came here regardless, im sure its not due to you being stupid and not checking all the obvious;

A list of possible solutions:
• The clips you are playing have some irregular properties confusing ableton, try turning off warp for the clips. if warp is crucial, maybe reload the clips or get rid of the flawed warp profile
• Your soundcard is so crappy that it is causing problems, keep the same bit depth in clips, ableton AND windows
• Ableton is being a cock and the only way to fix it is to delete the track and create it again (hint: it doesnt have to be hard, if you work smart)

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:49 pm

• Ableton is being a cock and the only way to fix it is to delete the track and create it again (hint: it doesnt have to be hard, if you work smart)
I see what you did there... not sure you did tho. Best and most useful part of the rant even if the punctuation is missing the apostrophe, almost a winner in grammatical terms and seems to fit perfectly in your forum handle too....

I'll see myself out of this one!

SuperKnovaMusic

Post by SuperKnovaMusic » Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:25 pm

I had this same issue and for me it was Melodyne! Be careful of tuning plugins which require you to "Transfer" the audio into the plugin. The track will only playback what you transferred into the plugin. i.e. if you recorded new audio to that track, you have to "transfer" them into Melodyne before they will sound back.