n00b question about loop playback options

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
nharsch

n00b question about loop playback options

Post by nharsch » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:42 pm

I was just wondering if there was a way to get either drum rack or sampler to operate like a boss sp-303 or roland sp 404 in this regard:

I want the ability to loop and hold samples on the fly, why still being able to fire them straight shot when needed.

For example, I have a vocal sample in drum rack that is a complete phrase ("I want you"). I can treat it like a drum hit, and control it's A/D/S/Release envelopes, and loop it for release trails (I want, I want y-, I, I, I want you...). But I'd like to be able to fire that sample as a loop on, loop off sample as well, so that the first midi note fires the loop, and the second note ends it. (I want you, I want you, ....).

Basically, I'm looking for drum rack to have a "hold" function like the 303 or 404. I'm sure live has this ability, I'm just having a hard time streamlining it for improvisation.

Thanks

laird

Post by laird » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:58 pm

I know that CLIPS ccan behave that way... set the launch mode to toggle... (you have to select the "L" button in the clip window to see this pull-down menu option)

Then maybe MIDI map that clip's play button.

I'm not sure about Simpler/Sampler.

nharsch

thanks

Post by nharsch » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:14 pm

fantastic, this is what I was looking for. I knew live would have this function. It would be nice to have a playback option that had a release envelope so that the clip could behave like a drum hit, but I'm nitpicking now.

Thank you, that was easy.