dj mixer compatible with ableton under$400

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
rabblebasics

dj mixer compatible with ableton under$400

Post by rabblebasics » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:07 pm

I'm looking at getting my first real mixer (have other instruments, but am getting into DJ'ing since I have the speakers, two dual 15 harbinger cabs with a 2500 watt power amp). I'm not really trying to spend over $400 total (but, I can if its worth it).

I basically would like something that I can sync up with Ableton (i run 7.0.3) and am pretty fluent. I make my own tracks, but I also like playing other artist's tracks as well as my own mixes. I'm not looking at getting turntables since I would like something small and compact. I am currently looking at just 2 channel mixers, but I'd really like to get 4 since I mostly spin dance music (house, trance, club-feel music, some remixed pop/rap/hip-hop/rock).

I know how to DJ within Ableton and I'm wondering if its possible to get a raw mixer (not midi, unless someone knows a good product) that I can play with the knobs, I want that feel. Using the mouse sucks.

I've also looked at these: (I can burn my own mixes that I can get my BPM's in Ableton)

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/pr ... sku=801674

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/pr ... sku=800490

not sure on the quality of these two and I doubt they'd be able to run in Live.

Feel free to post some recommendations on some mixers (that I can add to later on) because if I could get a nice mixer now, I can begin to add to it as I get more money)

I'm in college at a large party school so money is definitely a concern as well as quality, I don't want something that is not going to work.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/pr ... sku=630281

anyone know anything about this? I make a lot of electronic music as well so that pad is HUGE, can this run in Ableton?

audiovoid

Post by audiovoid » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:19 am

Check out Ecler. They make great mixers and the nuo2, which is similar to the vestax battle mixers, is under 400 bucks.
It is an analog mixer only but if you allready have a muti output audio interface for your computer then you can just run seperate channels out of ableton into it. Add an extra midi controller of your choice for added control and you've got a nice little set up. The mixer Does makes it a less portable setup though.
Ecler does make a couple of other mixers that do offer midi functionality but are in a much higher price bracket.
ps. I would stay away from Korg mixers. With the exception of the Kaoss pad type products, I feel that all of their dj line is of pretty low quality. Both Build and sound-wise.
audiovoid.net
Macbook pro,
MacPro 8 core
running OSX, &
WinXP through Bootcamp and Fusion

rabblebasics

Post by rabblebasics » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:42 pm

audiovoid wrote:Check out Ecler. They make great mixers and the nuo2, which is similar to the vestax battle mixers, is under 400 bucks.
It is an analog mixer only but if you allready have a muti output audio interface for your computer then you can just run seperate channels out of ableton into it. Add an extra midi controller of your choice for added control and you've got a nice little set up. The mixer Does makes it a less portable setup though.
Ecler does make a couple of other mixers that do offer midi functionality but are in a much higher price bracket.
ps. I would stay away from Korg mixers. With the exception of the Kaoss pad type products, I feel that all of their dj line is of pretty low quality. Both Build and sound-wise.
appreciate the feedback.

thoffir

Post by thoffir » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:02 pm

do you have sound interface already? i think you need two outs at least if you want to use generic 2-channel mixer.

if you look for ableton dedicated solution and no regular sources (like cd or turntables) i don't think regular non-midi mixer is a good solution. i will rather reccomend good midi controller or saving for mixer with midi (and built in audio interface).

have you considered "mix-in-ableton" via midi controller that resembles regular mixer? like that one? http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/XSessionPro.html
advantage is that you can really go mouseless with such solution and put lot of built in ableton effects into mix. disadvantage is cheap feeling and no regular sources.