superimposing tempo?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Marcus_Hertz

superimposing tempo?

Post by Marcus_Hertz » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:59 am

As a creative process, I usually set the live's sequencer in record mode (I record MIDI for a piano vsti) and start playng and improvising with the keyboard no matter the tempo and live's metronome.
This way I feel more free and in the end I can have some nice musical phrases to further develop.
As I don't play listening to ableton's live metronome neither I set ableton's live tempo, obviously my recorded midi tempo is formally 120 bpm... and obviously this doesn't match the tempo I had in mind while playing that particular phrase.
How can I set live's tempo to match the recorded material tempo?
If I just dial a different bpm value, this will affect the speed of what I have recorded.
Is there a way/procedure to just superimpose a tempo without affecting the speed of a midi clip?

Marcus_Hertz

Post by Marcus_Hertz » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:50 pm

so... there isn't a way... or nobody knows?

spiral

Post by spiral » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:05 am

change the temp of the clip to match the temp in live
so if clip at 120 then lives tempo 120
change live tempo to 50 then change clips
both will stay the same..

formatk

Post by formatk » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:14 am

you can always us "stretch notes" from right clicking on a bunch of selected midi notes and dragging them to fit onto the tempo grid you'd like.
http://www.myspace.com/formatk
http://www.karlsadler.com
http://www.kandledesign.com

Artist & Visualist
MacBook Pro C2D 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM Live 7.0.14, OSX10.6.2, Launchpad, AkaiMPD24, Akai S20, Oxygen 8, Presonus Inspire, Rode NT1a/M3, Shure SM58

Marcus_Hertz

Post by Marcus_Hertz » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:50 am

max2f

Post by max2f » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:21 pm

i"m having same prob, i dont nearly understand the solution.

are you thinking of "i dont set the metronome and play anything i want, but i know anyways that i play at 50bpm? so i just need to edit the clips bpm and have to find the first quater of a beat everything else will fit (as i played constant 50bpm)" <--- doesnt seems realistically for me

the stretching-notes-solution sounds like "well i play whatever i want (at a nearly constant bpm) and live figures it out for me" <-- i dont know how live would do that but if i know how to tell live it would be fine too (and its NOT quantize in that case, quantize would lead to different results here)

or are you talking about (what i am doing and is very unsatisfiing for my purposes): "ok i have any kind of lousy midi material and adopt every single note on signal to get it right" what, of course, is straight forward but endlessly timeconsuming

if anybody feels same confusions as i do or has further explainments what the two guys meant here feel free to contact me or leave another post

thanks
max

p.s. is there a tool to tab the tempo to unwarped audio/unsynced midi so that live sets warp markers something like every quarter? would be very usefull (in case of midi you just go ahead and quantize afterwards and your done)

Snurker

Post by Snurker » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:26 pm

I solve it like this - click on your recorded clip and switch off "warp" in the clip properties box - it will then always play at the tempo you recorded it regardless off Lives tempo. Play the clip and use the "tap" button at the top left of the Live window to set the tempo of the project.

max2f

Post by max2f » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:41 pm

Snurker wrote:I solve it like this - click on your recorded clip and switch off "warp" in the clip properties box - it will then always play at the tempo you recorded it regardless off Lives tempo. Play the clip and use the "tap" button at the top left of the Live window to set the tempo of the project.
that sounds ok with audio (could you actually warp the recorded clip like that?). i dont think it will work with midi, right? when i' am on the road i usually start setting up some my tracks starting with lives midi instruments.

matchr

Re: superimposing tempo?

Post by matchr » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:01 pm

Very old post, but still on top of google search.

So, my solution is:
1. Record your midi clip with your own tempo. Best you record your prefered number of bars + the first hit of the next bar. E.g. you want to record 2 bars, then you records from 1.1 to 3.1. (9 quarter notes)
2. Duplicate the miditrack, freeze the copy and fix it to audio (right click)
3. Disable warp on the new audio track
4. Adjust the set tempo, so that the audiotrack fits the set tempo. E.g. match the first beat of the clip to 1.1 and the last hit (the ninth quarter note in our example) to 3.1
5. Adjust the notes in the midifile the same way. First Quarter on 1.1 (1.1 in the midi-clip) and the 9th on 3.1 (3.1 in the midi file). You can stratch midi notes by selecting them all and then use the stretch-markers on top. You can see them if you google images with "aleton live midi stretch" or here https://www.google.de/search?q=ableton+ ... h&tbm=isch
6. Voila, your set tempo is matched to the 2 bars (you can delete the last hit) long midi clip!

Hope this topic is stil relevant!
It would be nice if you tell me.

mfG, matchr