APC 40 FAQs, features and questions

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
gvh

Re: APC 40 FAQs, features and questions

Post by gvh » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:18 pm

Belkin wrote:maybe in next version of apc faders will be motorized ;)
I wish! It's a bummer to have lame faders on the one-and-only official Live controller. :-/

eldar

Post by eldar » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:20 pm

feyshay wrote:4) I never got the light show. I want to see it.
unplug the usb cord and wait

djlegere

Post by djlegere » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:22 pm

feyshay wrote:This unit is really great. I was amazed at how seamlessly things went in using it.
1) I was very surprised that there seems to be an automap function for VST plug-ins. I was not expecting that. Problem is--how do you know what the 8 knobs are controlling before moving the knobs. (The same issue exists with Live plug-ins.) For example, when moving knob 3, I don't want to reset the threshhold of a VST compressor plug-in, when I am actually trying to change ratio. Can anybody tell me that?
2) Groups do not work with the APC 40. It seems that you have to go without groups for the tracks to be counted properly as you Shift-scroll across the tracks.
3) It did stop working in the midst of a project last night. Of course, the project had about 60 scenes and about 40-50 tracks. Could the unit have been overwhelmed or was the APC 40 sensing that I was overwhelmed in managing all those parts?
4) I never got the light show. I want to see it.

1. For VST plugins click the "configure" button and you can choose which knobs you control by dragging and dropping the ones you want in the 'top 8' (this may only be in Live 8 )

2. Have to try this myself...

4. If you have your APC plugged into the wall but not to your computer you get the light show, this way you know that your computer has detected it properly over USB.

turok2step

Post by turok2step » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:51 pm

anyone figure out how to navigate to the SEND TRACKS for device control since there is no track selection for these? is this even possible without using the mouse or making a custom map?
:D

djlegere

Post by djlegere » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:57 pm

turok2step wrote:anyone figure out how to navigate to the SEND TRACKS for device control since there is no track selection for these? is this even possible without using the mouse or making a custom map?
If I understand what you want to do correctly is have the 8 bottom knobs map to whatever effect is on your return track?

Two ways you can do this (I think you need Live 8 though...)

1. Click on the device so that the blue hand shows up on the top. Your 8 knobs will auto map to that device.

2. Assign a button to select the device (by using midi learn). Again your 8 knobs will auto map.

The reason you can't do this in the auto map mode is because most people have their returns set up and don't change the settings on the device and just update the send knob. Which is why you have 3 sends x 8 Channels.

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:15 am

anyone know how to select a clip without playing it? or to scroll around your clips without launching or restarting them, i guess is what i want to do, to see the waveforms. if i have to clips playing (i.e. MP3s or WAVs), i'd like to be able to see where the marker is during playback without using the mouse. is this possible?

dcease

Post by dcease » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:25 am

McQ714 wrote:anyone know how to select a clip without playing it? or to scroll around your clips without launching or restarting them, i guess is what i want to do, to see the waveforms. if i have to clips playing (i.e. MP3s or WAVs), i'd like to be able to see where the marker is during playback without using the mouse. is this possible?
the track selector buttons will select the track, and if you assign a knob to the scene up/down in midi map, then you can move to the clip you want displayed in the detail view. i assigned it to a "send 3" knob, as that has no use for me.

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:21 am

dcease wrote:
McQ714 wrote:anyone know how to select a clip without playing it? or to scroll around your clips without launching or restarting them, i guess is what i want to do, to see the waveforms. if i have to clips playing (i.e. MP3s or WAVs), i'd like to be able to see where the marker is during playback without using the mouse. is this possible?
the track selector buttons will select the track, and if you assign a knob to the scene up/down in midi map, then you can move to the clip you want displayed in the detail view. i assigned it to a "send 3" knob, as that has no use for me.
that worked perfectly. mapped the scene select to my "cue level" knob.
thanks for the info.

turok2step

Post by turok2step » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:11 am

djlegere wrote:
turok2step wrote:anyone figure out how to navigate to the SEND TRACKS for device control since there is no track selection for these? is this even possible without using the mouse or making a custom map?
If I understand what you want to do correctly is have the 8 bottom knobs map to whatever effect is on your return track?

1. Click on the device so that the blue hand shows up on the top. Your 8 knobs will auto map to that device.

2. Assign a button to select the device (by using midi learn). Again your 8 knobs will auto map.

The reason you can't do this in the auto map mode is because most people have their returns set up and don't change the settings on the device and just update the send knob. Which is why you have 3 sends x 8 Channels.
this is what i want to do and it sucks that the APC wont do it naturally.
:D

IP

Post by IP » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:59 am

turok2step wrote:
djlegere wrote:

this is what i want to do and it sucks that the APC wont do it naturally.

i think it will be easy for them to add it to the next live update!

miqueas1

Post by miqueas1 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:47 pm

OMG I love it!!! I just got mine Sat I love it love it love it!!!

It is amazing!!

Thank You Akai... thank you Ableton! The ante has been upped!!!

:)
Ableton Live Suite 8, Launchpad, Apc40, Touch-able, Griid, Minimoog, Sylenth1, Nexxus2, Maschine Mikro, all Ableton Audio Plugins, Recyle, Waves Mastering Plug Ins. http://www.soundcloud.com/micahjames

kingpixel

Post by kingpixel » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:16 pm

miqueas1 wrote:OMG I love it!!! I just got mine Sat I love it love it love it!!!

It is amazing!!

Lucky you!!! I preordered mine a few weeks ago and the guys just told me i have to wait another couple of weeks before i see mine!!! :evil:

miqueas1

Post by miqueas1 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:48 pm

Guitar center had mine at their store! So that is always an option if their is one near you.

kingpixel wrote:
miqueas1 wrote:OMG I love it!!! I just got mine Sat I love it love it love it!!!

It is amazing!!

Lucky you!!! I preordered mine a few weeks ago and the guys just told me i have to wait another couple of weeks before i see mine!!! :evil:
Ableton Live Suite 8, Launchpad, Apc40, Touch-able, Griid, Minimoog, Sylenth1, Nexxus2, Maschine Mikro, all Ableton Audio Plugins, Recyle, Waves Mastering Plug Ins. http://www.soundcloud.com/micahjames

Belkin

Post by Belkin » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:06 pm

kingpixel wrote:

It is amazing!!

man why you should wait?)
http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&q= ... 5&ct=title

open all this stores then subscribe when apc will be in store and order it.
Life is too short to listen to slow music
Banginbeats promo
http://www.myspace.com/banginbeatsbelkin

Ableton live 8.0.4, Akai apc40, Terratec phase 26 usb, CME UF6, KRK RP6

kingpixel

Post by kingpixel » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:03 pm

Belkin wrote:
kingpixel wrote:

man why you should wait?)
http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&q= ... 5&ct=title

open all this stores then subscribe when apc will be in store and order it.
I'm in UK and i preordered one and paid for it (with a discount)... I was soooo waiting for it....