APC 40 FAQs, features and questions

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
S4racen

Re: APC 40 FAQs, features and questions

Post by S4racen » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:19 pm

No thats the ways it's meant to be set up...

Cheers
D

Grant Carlisle

Post by Grant Carlisle » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:07 am

xaviergray wrote:Hey all, I'm trying to custom map my new APC and it absolutely won't cooperate at all. Everywhere I've looked says just to press the MIDI map button and map the controls like you would with any controller, but as I try to map tempo to the cue knob, for instance, all it does is change the cue level and not even respond to my attempted mapping. I'm using the standard version of Live 8.2.1, not the APC40 version. Any ideas on what I need to do to make it work?

EDIT: Nevermind, set it to Remote Input mode and it works now. No drawbacks to having it set to this though, are there?
I believe that between Darren's and Stray's work and combining ideas from other users like Riley and Durrant, Mlovers and Tom Cosm anything is possible with this controler. I recommend starting at the Riley and Durrant video.
(the first videos i watched on YouTube relating to customizing the APC)
I recommend that video for a very important work around relating to track select/track view.
I have taken a little bit from here and there. I love the way this thing works. The only issue i have and i believe this topic has been brought up several times the issue with smooth beat transitioning between Ableton and external source CDJs, Turntable etc.. which is an Ableton problem
I believe Ableton could solve this by being able to edit what percentage the nudge button apply pitch, for instance if i could edit this to straight 3% or 4% I believe that this would make the beat match easier. Hey maybe you max guys could figure this out. I'm not sure this is even possible. let me know.
Vaio 2.13Ghz I3 + Vaio 2.80/3.50GHz)i7 8 Gigs Ram x2 Windows 7. Samsung 32" LED monitor Ableton8 Suite+Max,Isotonik,OCTPAD NativeKontrol Apc-CL1, APC-40,Launchpad,Maschine,NanoKontrol2,MPK49,LPD8,MPK Mini,,Reason4,Vestax Pmc 25,CDJ 1000mk2X2.

RottenToTheGore

Post by RottenToTheGore » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:45 pm

S4racen wrote:Sorry Shift is the only way....

Cheers
D
Would there be any way to map the shift command to maybe a pedal?

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:28 am

Not without hacking with some of the methods above, remote script is probably the best way forward on this one...

Cheers
D

ianmgull

Post by ianmgull » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:37 pm

Sorry if this has been covered:

I read that any button/knob/whatever on the apc40 can be mapped to any parameter. I have a beat repeat on every track. I never use the record arm buttons and wanted to have each one turn it's respective beat repeat on/off.

I went into regular old midi map mode. I clicked on the beat repeat's on/off button and then pushed that track's record arm button to assign it. It didn't link to the beat repeat on/off though- it simply armed the track.

Am I missing something?

PS...

Tried to link the master beat repeat on/off to the tap tempo button and... you guessed it: I changed the tempo...

housemusiclover

Post by housemusiclover » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:48 pm

you have to enable "remote" in the preferences

ianmgull

Post by ianmgull » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:58 pm

Is that the input port or output??

Thanks!!

housemusiclover

Post by housemusiclover » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:45 am

input :)

ianmgull

Post by ianmgull » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:52 pm

Thanks for the info. It worked out. I'm using the main record button to turn on the master beat repeat. Problem is that MIDI note (A5) is also being sent to my ultranova. Anytime I hit beat repeat I get a sustained A5 from the Ultranova :?

More info:

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=167675

housemusiclover

Post by housemusiclover » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:44 pm

disabling "track" for the apc input should work

HannahJohn

Post by HannahJohn » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:00 am

Great idea Jesse FAQ that I've seen so far is really in details.I appreciate your effort and wish you best of luck for your APC.

ianmgull

Post by ianmgull » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:45 pm

Sorry to inundate you guys with questions but this should be the last for a while. A have a strobe light hooked up to ableton via DMXIS. It works well but I would like to program a knob to send an emergency stop message to the strobe if things get out of hand.

Is there a way to make a knob (such as a knob in the pan bank) send a specific midi note (like C2) on a specific MIDI channel (like 16)? This would solve my woes.

Thanks!!

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:47 am

ianmgull wrote:Sorry to inundate you guys with questions but this should be the last for a while. A have a strobe light hooked up to ableton via DMXIS. It works well but I would like to program a knob to send an emergency stop message to the strobe if things get out of hand.

Is there a way to make a knob (such as a knob in the pan bank) send a specific midi note (like C2) on a specific MIDI channel (like 16)? This would solve my woes.

Thanks!!
Yes, with Bomes or Max4live.... Or checkout controlaid which'll translate the original message... You cant edit the midi message the APC sends out but you can translate it...

Cheers
D

stromschleifen

Post by stromschleifen » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:47 pm

hi all,

i have a little problem with the apc-40, maybe someone can shed a light on this...

what i'm trying to achieve is to remap the "record arm" buttons to the "loop" function of the active track. so if a tune is playing in audio track 1 and i hit the respective button, it will be looped. the same goes for audio track 2, 3 and so forth...

i know i have to turn on "remote" in the preferences and i am actually able to map the buttons of the apc-40 (though the led doesn't quite respond the way i anticipated - from what i read this is another issue).

so far, this approach also works for the first track. however, if i try to map the second audio track to the second arm button, it sort of "overrides" the first one. if i look at the midi map within live, it apparently assigns the same note, in this case "1/c2" to both buttons, thus taking only the most recently mapped into account.

what irritates me, is that i'm not able to simply map each button to a certain function within live. am i missing something crucial here? is this even possible? the same happens with the launch pad buttons or the activators btw...

any help is appreciated.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:22 pm

You need to understand the limitations of live, you can only map to the track thats actively in focus, when you change tracks and try mapping you are simply mapping the same destination.... It can't be done to have seperate buttons set to control the looping on seperate tracks without max4live....

Cheers
D