APC 40 FAQs, features and questions

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:54 pm

Jesse wrote:The faders are not motorized. How does that work if you bank through a few channels ?

As motorized faders were not possible at this pricing, these will follow the takeover mode (see 23.1.3 Takeover Mode in the manual for more info).

Sorry if this has been asked already, but will takeover mode in Live8 be adjusted so that pickup will work for more than just the first bank change? Takeover mode that only works for one bank change has always been a thorn in my side, heh.

Fieldy

Re: akai with akai

Post by Fieldy » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:48 pm

ringo kid f wrote:i got the MPD 32 and after i saw this new monster, I´ll get that one too.
It looks like something that fits my needs for controlling,but I dont see any midi in- out-thru on the APC 40?(only 1 pic on the akai site)

I only got 2 UBS ports on my Mac and 2 X akai + 1 keyboard, had hoped that I could connect the APC on USB and use thru midi for the MPD, the other USB post for my keys.
will ther be Ol style midi in out and thru on the APC40?

f
i don`t think the supported bidirectional communication really works over midi.
why don`t you get a usb-hub.
10 bucks is not a big investment

Macrostructure

Re: APC 40 FAQs, features and questions

Post by Macrostructure » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:35 pm

Jesse wrote:How many tracks/scenes can I navigate to?

With the banking buttons, you can move around a 64 track by 125 scene grid. i.e. when you press the shift button, and press the second button down in the second row, you'd be move the ring to tracks 9-16 and scenes 6-10. The scene buttons 1-5 move you to extra banks of scenes, i.e. scene 1 button lets you select 5 banks of scenes from 1-25, scene button 2 brings up 5 more banks of scenes from 26-50, and so on.
Are you saying that the APC40 can only map 125 scenes? That equates to about 4 or 5 songs containing any kind of reasonable variety. That's not enough for a live set.

Jesse

Post by Jesse » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:18 pm

You can continue to use the arrow keys to move past 125 scenes, sequentially or by bank, you just won't have the zoom-out banking selection beyond that. We argued long and hard over how to address this, and went for the way that makes the most intuitive sense: 64 tracks by 125 scenes.

With Max for Live, you could switch this to 200 scenes by 40 tracks, 1250 scenes by 8 tracks, but while all these modes are useful for some users, they are much more confusing in terms of how they are laid out. We went for the most common/easiest to understand method here.
Jesse

Macrostructure

Post by Macrostructure » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:36 pm

Jesse wrote:You can continue to use the arrow keys to move past 125 scenes, sequentially or by bank, you just won't have the zoom-out banking selection beyond that. We argued long and hard over how to address this, and went for the way that makes the most intuitive sense: 64 tracks by 125 scenes.

With Max for Live, you could switch this to 200 scenes by 40 tracks, 1250 scenes by 8 tracks, but while all these modes are useful for some users, they are much more confusing in terms of how they are laid out. We went for the most common/easiest to understand method here.
Jesse
ok thanks :)

[nis]

Post by [nis] » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:07 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote: Sorry if this has been asked already, but will takeover mode in Live8 be adjusted so that pickup will work for more than just the first bank change? Takeover mode that only works for one bank change has always been a thorn in my side, heh.
The problem you are referring to only occurs if you change banks externally (i.e. on your controller). Takeover mode works fine if the bank change is done within Live which is how it works with the APC40.
Nico Starke
Ableton Product Team

beatpoet

Post by beatpoet » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:38 pm

Nice to hear about the dual voltage PS, everything else about this product seems bang on too, well done guys.

Only one last issue to be sorted IMO

Is there any official Ableton statement on the 45% price difference in Europe ?

Have Ableton receieved any information at as to why this massive price difference exists only for the APC 40 in the Akai controller range ?

Why is the APC40 not on preorder in Eurozone countries ?

Are Ableton working to have this price difference addressed or is it final ?

Ken Mattel

Faders

Post by Ken Mattel » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:10 pm

Why Akai did not put some LEDs to the Faders like the LED rings surrounding each knob?

These could follow the takeover mode. Bicolor LEDs in a row beside the faders would here even better. And a few LEDs don´t increase the price much.

rbro

Re: Faders

Post by rbro » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:55 pm

Ken Mattel wrote:Why Akai did not put some LEDs to the Faders like the LED rings surrounding each knob?

These could follow the takeover mode. Bicolor LEDs in a row beside the faders would here even better. And a few LEDs don´t increase the price much.
The knobs are endless, so you need the LEDs to see where you are. I don't think you really need them for the faders.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:19 pm

rbro wrote: The knobs are endless, so you need the LEDs to see where you are. I don't think you really need them for the faders.

Sounds like takeover mode is going to work perfectly, so LEDs would have been a nice feature on the faders - to give you a visual cue when you switch back to a previous bank and pickup is initiated. 8)

rbro

Post by rbro » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:28 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:
rbro wrote: The knobs are endless, so you need the LEDs to see where you are. I don't think you really need them for the faders.

Sounds like takeover mode is going to work perfectly, so LEDs would have been a nice feature on the faders - to give you a visual cue when you switch back to a previous bank and pickup is initiated. 8)
Oh, ok I see. Didn't understand......

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:34 pm

rbro wrote:
LoopStationZebra wrote:

Oh, ok I see. Didn't understand......
Maybe we'll see LEDs on the faders in ver2, lol. Until then it's back to looking at the screen for precise fading. :cry: :D

condra

Post by condra » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:45 pm

Jesse. Can please you confirm that the APC does not lock out the mouse.

Thanks.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:07 pm

condra wrote:Jesse. Can please you confirm that the APC does not lock out the mouse.

Thanks.
"lock out the mouse"?

condra

Post by condra » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:17 pm

Machinate wrote:"lock out the mouse"?
Yeah. I know it sounds daft, but I was listening to the Sonic State podcast last week, and appearantly somebody (appearantly a competitor) told Nick B that the mouse could not be used with Live while the APC was in use.

I'd be 99% sure that this is not the case but just wanted it confirmed.