APC 40 FAQs, features and questions

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
pdli_5

Re: APC 40 FAQs, features and questions

Post by pdli_5 » Thu May 28, 2009 11:17 am

Got mine yesterday from Sweetwater! Liking it so far, and really looking forward to getting this thing on stage. 8)
Don Hill/Millipede

Belkin

Post by Belkin » Thu May 28, 2009 1:54 pm

allot of ppl write that they receive AKAI APC
I have on question about it can you pls check it?)

see you have 16 tracks. also you can move to any of it using scroll button.

for example at you are at tracks 1-8 and you setup mixer faders to 0 db. at 9-16 in ableton mixer is 0db. what will be if you move to 9-16 tracks?

with effects it simple because they just highlighted but faders are not motorized and not highlighted
thanks
Life is too short to listen to slow music
Banginbeats promo
http://www.myspace.com/banginbeatsbelkin

Ableton live 8.0.4, Akai apc40, Terratec phase 26 usb, CME UF6, KRK RP6

pdli_5

Post by pdli_5 » Thu May 28, 2009 2:16 pm

Belkin wrote: I have on question about it can you pls check it?)

for example at you are at tracks 1-8 and you setup mixer faders to 0 db. at 9-16 in ableton mixer is 0db. what will be if you move to 9-16 tracks?

with effects it simple because they just highlighted but faders are not motorized and not highlighted
thanks
The faders don't effect anything, unless you move them. The problem for you maybe that the soft-fader will jump to match the hard-fader, making for some undesirable jumps and dips in your sound when performing.

However, when shifting your session view around, the hard-faders won't effect the software until you physically move them.
Don Hill/Millipede

djlegere

Post by djlegere » Thu May 28, 2009 3:59 pm

QUESTION for Jesse:

Is there anyway to make the buttons on the APC 'momentary' so that I can trigger an effect by holding the button down and then turning it off when my finger is up. There is a guy on the APC website doing this (Stephan Vankov). I have been trying to do this with controllers for soooooo long. Any help would be appreciated.

Belkin

Post by Belkin » Thu May 28, 2009 4:06 pm

pdli_5 wrote:
Belkin wrote: I have on question about it can you pls check it?)

thanks
The faders don't effect anything, unless you move them. The problem for you maybe that the soft-fader will jump to match the hard-fader, making for some undesirable jumps and dips in your sound when performing.

However, when shifting your session view around, the hard-faders won't effect the software until you physically move them.

very big thanks man... i think that it work in this way and now i can wait for my APC quietly
thanks again
Banginbeats promo

Belkin

Post by Belkin » Thu May 28, 2009 4:16 pm

2 djlegere
you are registered at youtube? just write message to him
you can ask him or just write comment at his video.
Banginbeats promo

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu May 28, 2009 6:12 pm

Do those weird wings come off? Or are they integral to the casing?
Professional Shark Jumper.

djlegere

Post by djlegere » Thu May 28, 2009 6:15 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:Do those weird wings come off? Or are they integral to the casing?
I have one and there are screws and it looks like I might be able to take em off...but I'm not going to try, they have to be there for a reason...don't they?

moodles

Post by moodles » Thu May 28, 2009 6:21 pm

pdli_5 wrote: The faders don't effect anything, unless you move them. The problem for you maybe that the soft-fader will jump to match the hard-fader, making for some undesirable jumps and dips in your sound when performing.

I don't think this is exactly correct. If there is a big discrepancy between the APC40 fader level and the corresponding fader in Live, just nudging the APC40 fader a little bit shouldn't change the Live fader at all. You have to move the APC40 fader all the way to the same level as the Live fader before it starts controlling the fader in Live.

Here's what it says on the APC40 site:
"The faders follow the takeover mode (see Takeover Mode in the Ableton Live manual for more info). If the volume on the screen is at the bottom and the fader is at the top, Live won't start responding until you move the fader up to the top position it really is at (in the software). Then the fader and Live control will sync and move together."
djlegere wrote: Is there anyway to make the buttons on the APC 'momentary' so that I can trigger an effect by holding the button down and then turning it off when my finger is up.
Change your Clip Launch mode to "Gate".

pdli_5

Post by pdli_5 » Thu May 28, 2009 6:26 pm

djlegere wrote:
glitchrock-buddha wrote:Do those weird wings come off? Or are they integral to the casing?
I have one and there are screws and it looks like I might be able to take em off...but I'm not going to try, they have to be there for a reason...don't they?
Haven't bothered w/ mine, but I imagine it could be rack-mounted? They do add to the overall footprint's width (by 2"), but they look sleek! :wink:
Don Hill/Millipede

pdli_5

Post by pdli_5 » Thu May 28, 2009 6:35 pm

moodles wrote:
pdli_5 wrote: The faders don't effect anything, unless you move them. The problem for you maybe that the soft-fader will jump to match the hard-fader, making for some undesirable jumps and dips in your sound when performing.

I don't think this is exactly correct. If there is a big discrepancy between the APC40 fader level and the corresponding fader in Live, just nudging the APC40 fader a little bit shouldn't change the Live fader at all. You have to move the APC40 fader all the way to the same level as the Live fader before it starts controlling the fader in Live.

"The faders follow the takeover mode (see Takeover Mode in the Ableton Live manual for more info). If the volume on the screen is at the bottom and the fader is at the top, Live won't start responding until you move the fader up to the top position it really is at (in the software). Then the fader and Live control will sync and move together."
Just checked it "real-time". The soft-fader setting changes with very little movement from the hard-fader. Maybe something that could be fixed with a firmware update later?

moodles

Post by moodles » Thu May 28, 2009 6:42 pm

moodles wrote:Change your Clip Launch mode to "Gate".
Ooops, hold on a minute, I didn't read the post closely enough. Thought you were trying to launch clips. Would it work if you routed the clip through a dummy clip that had your effect, if the dummy clip were set to "Gate"?

pdli_5 wrote:Just checked it "real-time". The soft-fader setting changes with very little movement from the hard-fader. Maybe something that could be fixed with a firmware update later?
Is Takeover mode for the APC40 set to "Pickup"?

djlegere

Post by djlegere » Thu May 28, 2009 6:44 pm

moodles wrote:
moodles wrote:Change your Clip Launch mode to "Gate".
Ooops, hold on a minute, I didn't read the post closely enough. Thought you were trying to launch clips. Would it work if you routed the clip through a dummy clip that had your effect, if the dummy clip were set to "Gate"?
I tried that but then you have to make the 'momentary' effect on/off quantized...check out the video here http://www.apc40.com by Stephan Vankov

pdli_5

Post by pdli_5 » Thu May 28, 2009 7:01 pm

moodles wrote:
pdli_5 wrote:Just checked it "real-time". The soft-fader setting changes with very little movement from the hard-fader. Maybe something that could be fixed with a firmware update later?
Is Takeover mode for the APC40 set to "Pickup"?
No. Hadn't got that far yet. Fixed now. Thanks, moodles!
Don Hill/Millipede

Belkin

Post by Belkin » Thu May 28, 2009 8:22 pm

moodles wrote:

djlegere wrote: Is there anyway to make the buttons on the APC 'momentary' so that I can trigger an effect by holding the button down and then turning it off when my finger is up.
Change your Clip Launch mode to "Gate".

thanks again
is excellent. really akai and ableton done weryyyy perfect job thats why i buy license and apc)
Banginbeats promo