APC 40 FAQs, features and questions

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Jesse

Post by Jesse » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:41 am

I'm not sure if the wings are removable. I'll ask Akai. They give it a Michael Keaton era Batman or Knight Rider vibe so I'm keeping them on ;)

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:00 am

If I drool on it will it short circuit? :D

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:02 am

Jesse,

This thing looks sweet!

My only concern is that the transport controls look tiny and drab and stuck behind the crossfader.

I don't suppose that they will get any kind of revision before release?
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

SMonk

Re: APC 40 FAQs, features and questions

Post by SMonk » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:07 am

jonny72 wrote:
Jesse wrote:Hi Guys,
I'm starting this thread to answer any questions as best I can regarding the APC40.

To start off, here's a few answers from other threads:

How much is it?

The street prices for the APC40 should be $399 (US Map) and 449 Euro (European Street price). We'll update our website when I hear back from Akai.

I'm on the road a lot but will try my best to answer any questions you have about the what, when, how and why here when I have time.
Best,
Jesse
Jesse,

Could you confirm if Akai will be shafting people in the UK with the price as well, or if the shafting is just limited to people in Euro countries?
I would like to know how shafted the obediently consumerist people of Japan will be. When and if it eventually hits the market, that is. Which will probably be like 6 months after the rest of the world if the MPD32 is any indication.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:59 am

maybe they are giving the US a lower price because we are all losing our houses and jobs? :)

it's a stimulus!

"Hey man, lets help out the Americans by giving them a little break on the price. Those poor bastards might not be around for too much longer.."
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:33 am

Hey Jesse,

I have a couple questions about manually overriding some of the automapped controls of the APC:
-The device controls have 8 banks of 8 controls, selected by using the shift button + button selectors 1-8. Now if I decide that 4 banks of instant mapping controls are sufficient for me. Can I then assign all 4 extra banks of controls how I like? Or is the override on a per knob basis? Ie. if assign knob while in bank 4 of my device controls, will it override all other banks for that knob as well?
-Similar to above. If I decide to manually assign the pan knobs to something else, I assume I still have use of the sends? And am I right in assuming that those assigned knobs remain the same 8 regardless of what tracks are in view? I hope that makes sense.

And as for recommendations of controllers or alterations; I think there are two main ways to approach extensive control on hardware. One focus is to have many controls of a selected track available at a time and the other is to have a few controls available of many tracks. You guys nailed the first method quite well. Lots of control for the selected device while also giving access to the main mixer controls and clip control. The second is exemplified by something like the korg zero 8, which has a bunch of knobs for every channel, suitable for eq/filter, effects or whatever. This has the advantage in live performance that you have instant access to the most important few parameters of 8 tracks simultaneously and less switching control back and forth between devices. So while the APC is great use of the space, it still does well to be complemented by something with 8 columns of a few knobs, like the bcr2000. So in considering an alternative product design, or one that could go along with the APC, that might be the way to go. A sister product of the APC could easily get 8 columns of 8 rows of encoders in the same space. Imagine 8 controls available to each track at the same time. That would be killer. Or maybe 8 columns of just 4 rows with some row switching like the bcr, which could be more compact. Like a drehabnk, but only 8 columns instead of 16 and with endless encoders. Now that would be the business!! Why such a thing doesn't exist is beyond me.

There's some ideas for you.
Professional Shark Jumper.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:00 am

buddha - IMO sounds alright, like a BCR, banks of knobs + the secret handshake, good to ask.

controller idea-
VST control where the VST GUI pops up on your iTouch/iPod/DS10 (they're cheaper) screen. or embed a similar screen into an APC. miniLemur.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Jesse

Post by Jesse » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:21 am

My only concern is that the transport controls look tiny and drab and stuck behind the crossfader. I don't suppose that they will get any kind of revision before release?

Nope, the tooling is finished, that's the way it's going to be. Transport controls have a lower profile than the other buttons, and require a harder press so I don't feel they get in the way of the crossfader. I personally don't use transport controls so much, so I will map these to something else myself.

re: Glitchrock Buddha

I hear you, there's definitely a need for independent control of EQ and autofilter on a per track basis for some users, that's a story for a different controller. The VCM 600 does this very well for instance.

Regarding custom mapping of the APC40, the Device Control section have no banking when user mapped (8 knobs, 8 things can be mapped). However, the Pan/SendA/Send B/Send C are banked interally in the APC firmware, which means you have 4 banks of 8 user mappable endless encoders. We considered mapping 8 of these to things like tempo, swing, zoom, etc., but it got confusing for the user, and decided to let you decide if you want to do this.

8O

Post by 8O » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:28 am

Jesse wrote:Nope, the tooling is finished, that's the way it's going to be. Transport controls have a lower profile than the other buttons, and require a harder press so I don't feel they get in the way of the crossfader so much. I personally don't use transport controls so much, so I will map these to something else myself.
Excellent!

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:50 am

:D Thanks Jesse.
Really appreciate your time on answering these questions..

I'm drooling.. BIG time!!

Hd

Oh btw did I see a 'left handed version' in one of the vids.. Or was that some 'trick' photography?

ytsek

Post by ytsek » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:08 am

If the leds aren't rgb, how are these different colors under the pads handled? 3 leds per pad?

chrysalis33rpm

Post by chrysalis33rpm » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:18 am

ytsek wrote:If the leds aren't rgb, how are these different colors under the pads handled? 3 leds per pad?
2 : red + green = orange.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:20 am

oh, and do I remember this correctly if I say that the pads have a "blink state" too, with the blinking controlled by the hardware?

beatpoet

Post by beatpoet » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:25 am

Jesse wrote:

Secondly, how can anybody justify $399 and €449, €449 is equal to $579.
It makes no sense whatsoever ?

Akai sets the pricing, sorry it doesn't meet your needs. I'll pass on your thoughts.

It's not that is doesn't meet my needs, it's just that one part of the world pays 45 % more than the other for the same product, it's blatant exploitation by Akai.

None of Akai's other controller products have this pricing difference, why so for the APC 40. It cannot be fully explained by taxes/shipping. It's blatant jacking up the Euro price to keep the Dollar price low. I think it's disgusting behaviour and puts both Ableton and Akai in a very bad light.

I will not be buying this product at the jacked up prices, I will buy it from the US and pay the duty and shipping for about 380 euro and I will not buy any other Akai products.

Thanks for coming in to answer questions Jesse, much appriciated, not trying to shoot the messenger so if you could also pass these thoughts along to Akai also I'd be very greatful.

Also, will the power supply being shipped with the APC be able take 110-230 V ? I think this will be important for those of us not willing to be ripped off. I can pick up a power supply locally for about 10 euro, so no big deal if it isn't I suppose. Thanks again.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:24 pm

totally forgot: Encoder accelleration - and really good at that. Not too fast, not too slow.

Totally essential, and many forget to put it in, crippling the device completely.