APC 40 FAQs, features and questions

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:24 pm

I alway have a red ring after a spicy curry :D

condra

Post by condra » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:42 pm

Will the AKAI version of Live run without the APC?

- In other words - Will owners of Live full be able to sell on their unregistered copys of AKAI Live, like is often done with Live Lite?

contakt321

Post by contakt321 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:04 pm

You guys sell those? I give them away to friends to get them addicted.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:34 pm

Jesse wrote:Jan corrected me on one point:
Regarding custom mapping of the APC40, the Device Control section have no banking when user mapped (8 knobs, 8 things can be mapped). However, the Pan/SendA/Send B/Send C are banked interally in the APC firmware, which means you have 4 banks of 8 user mappable endless encoders. We considered mapping 8 of these to things like tempo, swing, zoom, etc., but it got confusing for the user, and decided to let you decide if you want to do
this."
That's (luckily) not correct. Live does the banking for both sets of encoders but I
implemented a mechanism that makes the banking available for manual mappings as well (as long as the script is active).
Is the same true for the track buttons such as the activator buttons? Once you override them by midi learning, can those send different midi messages depending on the bank selected, or do they turn into just 8 static buttons?
Professional Shark Jumper.

7G

Post by 7G » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:00 pm

Too bad this baby ain't got that famous AKAI pads :(
Come on AKAI people what was wrong with that...
I would 've buy it hands down.....

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:02 pm

7G wrote:Too bad this baby ain't got that famous AKAI pads :(
You might want to look at the MPD32 then.

contakt321

Post by contakt321 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:06 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:
It seems like a lot of people aren't grasping that this isn't a pad device for playing patterns. I think a lot of folks haven't wrapped their heads around what this does, but I bet once they do they will lose their mind. My guess is the other major DAW companies will start trying to create partnerships for dedicated hardware as a result of the APC40's forthcoming success.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:18 pm

contakt321 wrote:
glitchrock-buddha wrote:
It seems like a lot of people aren't grasping that this isn't a pad device for playing patterns. I think a lot of folks haven't wrapped their heads around what this does...
Yeah, it's definitely no meant to be anything like an MPC or padkontrol. If they did have drum pads, imagine how damn big the thing would be!

7G

Post by 7G » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:18 pm

contakt321 wrote:
glitchrock-buddha wrote:
It seems like a lot of people aren't grasping that this isn't a pad device for playing patterns. I think a lot of folks haven't wrapped their heads around what this does, but I bet once they do they will lose their mind. My guess is the other major DAW companies will start trying to create partnerships for dedicated hardware as a result of the APC40's forthcoming success.
For me would be the ideal controller if this thing had drum pads...
Pure excellence!!!An All-in one controller!!!
I wouldn't have to buy a dedicated drum pad like the MPD32

And yes i know exactly what it does...

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:47 pm

Jesse-

Can you suggest some foot pedals that you know are compatible with the APC40?

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:10 pm

why would you want drum pads on this controller? i would think it would be more ideal that ur drum pads be separate... mostly because not everyone would place the pad controls in the same place and you don't want a native control surface on the same driver and connection as a controller that is meant to be used with the plugins themselves. for most i think this controller would be enough to perform with. i think almost everyone out there probably already has an mpd or a padKontrol anyway or 8 trigger fingers... Image do trigger fingers not have multiple banks??? anyway, i think the APC40 is perfect, add your own drum pads to it... build a custom case to house them if you want both in the same box.

Illum

Post by Illum » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:13 pm

7G wrote:
contakt321 wrote:
glitchrock-buddha wrote: You might want to look at the MPD32 then.
For me would be the ideal controller if this thing had drum pads...
Pure excellence!!!An All-in one controller!!!
I wouldn't have to buy a dedicated drum pad like the MPD32

And yes i know exactly what it does...
cool. and how big would you like this thing to be exactly? thankfully, akai didn't include their only claim to fame (which isn't actually theirs of course) which is the 8x8 pad grid because of the obvious redundancy. like, who doesn't already have some pads?
illumeaudio.com
myspace/illiacsound

Jesse

Post by Jesse » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:03 pm

Jesse, is the APC40 dual voltage (without the need for a transformer) for playing abroad?

I believe the adaptor is dual voltage, will have to double check. You'll need an adaptor for the prongs of course.

Can you suggest some foot pedals that you know are compatible with the APC40?

Sorry, don't know the answer to this, I'm moving this week so all mine are in storage! I believe most sustain type pedals should work fine...

CAN WE MAP THE NEW APC 40 THE USUAL WAY BY CLICKING MAP IN ABLETON, OR DO WE HAVE TO USE MAX FOR LIVE.

Yes, but note that the previous poster was incorrect. There are 4 banks of the top encoders and 1 bank of the bottom encoders, not nine.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:15 pm

Jesse wrote:
CAN WE MAP THE NEW APC 40 THE USUAL WAY BY CLICKING MAP IN ABLETON, OR DO WE HAVE TO USE MAX FOR LIVE.
[/b]
Yes, but note that the previous poster was incorrect. There are 4 banks of the top encoders and 1 bank of the bottom encoders, not nine.
Oh. I thought the post below was saying that the bottom oncoders had banks as well:
Jesse wrote:Jan corrected me on one point:
Regarding custom mapping of the APC40, the Device Control section have no banking when user mapped (8 knobs, 8 things can be mapped). However, the Pan/SendA/Send B/Send C are banked interally in the APC firmware, which means you have 4 banks of 8 user mappable endless encoders. We considered mapping 8 of these to things like tempo, swing, zoom, etc., but it got confusing for the user, and decided to let you decide if you want to do
this."
That's (luckily) not correct. Live does the banking for both sets of encoders but I
implemented a mechanism that makes the banking available for manual mappings as well (as long as the script is active).
Don't you say here that banks are available for manual mapping the device controls as well, thanks to this "mechanism" that was implemented?

ringo kid f

akai with akai

Post by ringo kid f » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:43 pm

i got the MPD 32 and after i saw this new monster, I´ll get that one too.
It looks like something that fits my needs for controlling,but I dont see any midi in- out-thru on the APC 40?(only 1 pic on the akai site)

I only got 2 UBS ports on my Mac and 2 X akai + 1 keyboard, had hoped that I could connect the APC on USB and use thru midi for the MPD, the other USB post for my keys.
will ther be Ol style midi in out and thru on the APC40?

f