APC 40 FAQs, features and questions

Share your Ableton Live secrets here
glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:39 pm

Here's a question:

I'm assuming that they do, but just to confirm: The return tracks are included in the mixer instant mapping on the APC40 right? And presumably show up after all the regular tracks? So if I've gat 13 track and 3 sends, that'll fit nicely into two banks of faders?
Professional Shark Jumper.

Jesse

Post by Jesse » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:53 pm

Nice to hear about the dual voltage.

Please note though, that warranties for US products are not valid in Europe, and vice versa.

Why is the price higher in Europe?

We don't have a say in the final EURO pricing, but I've voiced your concerns to Akai.

Why Akai did not put some LEDs to the Faders like the LED rings surrounding each knob?

A combination of space, price, electrical requirements. Good idea for the future.

Can please you confirm that the APC does not lock out the mouse.

The APC40 does not lock out the mouse.

The return tracks are included in the mixer instant mapping on the APC40 right? And presumably show up after all the regular tracks? So if I've gat 13 track and 3 sends, that'll fit nicely into two banks of faders?

No. It's on the wishlist though, we'll see if it makes it into a future update.

Blurr

Post by Blurr » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:30 am

So there's no access to the return tracks ?

How does it handle Folder Tracks ?

7G

Post by 7G » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:27 am

Illum wrote:like, who doesn't already have some pads?
Me??????

Jesse

Post by Jesse » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:52 pm

Pricing update:

How much is it?

Akai sets the pricing, we have voiced your concerns.

The US MSRP will be $499 and the European MSRP will be €499. This leads to a $399 street price in the US and check with your local dealer for European street pricing.

We understand that the price differences between USD MAP and Euro may look confusing. However there are a few important factors to consider when comparing these prices.

SALES TAX

Sales Tax is always excluded when US MAP prices are quoted but usually included when Europeans street prices are quoted. Sales tax in the US varies from state to state but in some states customers will pay 10% sales tax on top of the published MAP price. In other states there is 0% sales tax which is why retailers always quote MAP prices without Sales Tax.
For an accurate comparison of prices customers must compare like for like and remove sales tax from the Euro pricing. Sales tax also varies in Europe (from 15% in the UK right now to 25% in parts of scandinavia) but the average is about 19%, the Sales Tax rate in Germany. This means German customers should be comparing 399 USD to about 377 Euros excl. Sales Tax.

SHIPPING COSTS
Because of the large size of the US market, shipments of hardware products from the far east tend to me much larger than shipments to Europe. Economies of scale apply resulting in much cheaper shipping charges on the products that go the US.

EXCHANGE RATES
If we could predict how the worldwide exchange rates would fluctuate then we wouldn’t be working in the music industry! Will exchange rates fluctuating as much as they have in the last 6 months it is very hard to achieve a lasting price parity across multiple currencies.

INFO FOR EUROPEAN CUSTOMERS THINKING ABOUT BUYING FROM THE US

Customers in Europe thinking about buying from the US should consider the following before making their purchase:
When buying on credit card customers won’t enjoy the published exchange rate. Typically credit card companies will use an exchange rate that differs by 5-10% in their favor.

Shipping costs from the US to Europe are much higher (especially on hardware) than local shipping rates.

When products from the US hit local customs customers are liable not only for the local import duty but will also pay local Sales Tax (VAT) when the product is imported.

US products shipped to Europe will not be under warranty, and vice versa.

Ken Mattel

Post by Ken Mattel » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:17 pm

Jesse wrote:
Why Akai did not put some LEDs to the Faders like the LED rings surrounding each knob?

A combination of space, price, electrical requirements. Good idea for the future.
at least one LED per fader.

higher interval of blinking: the fader position is over the value to take over

lower interval of blinking: the fader position is under the value to take over

constant glow: the fader has taken over

feature: ascending and decending of the interval changes in relation to the position of the value to take over.
Last edited by Ken Mattel on Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DJ Marky Marc

Post by DJ Marky Marc » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:06 pm

Someone told me Akai are now owned by Numark... and to be careful of this product because Numark are famous for cutting costs and using cheep parts where possible...

??
Passion Grace and Serious Bass

www.thisishouseproud.co.uk

www.disco-man.co.uk

beatpoet

Post by beatpoet » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:58 pm

Jesse wrote:Pricing update:

How much is it?

Akai sets the pricing, we have voiced your concerns.

The US MSRP will be $499 and the European MSRP will be €499. This leads to a $399 street price in the US and check with your local dealer for European street pricing.

We understand that the price differences between USD MAP and Euro may look confusing. However there are a few important factors to consider when comparing these prices.

SALES TAX

Sales Tax is always excluded when US MAP prices are quoted but usually included when Europeans street prices are quoted. Sales tax in the US varies from state to state but in some states customers will pay 10% sales tax on top of the published MAP price. In other states there is 0% sales tax which is why retailers always quote MAP prices without Sales Tax.
For an accurate comparison of prices customers must compare like for like and remove sales tax from the Euro pricing. Sales tax also varies in Europe (from 15% in the UK right now to 25% in parts of scandinavia) but the average is about 19%, the Sales Tax rate in Germany. This means German customers should be comparing 399 USD to about 377 Euros excl. Sales Tax.

SHIPPING COSTS
Because of the large size of the US market, shipments of hardware products from the far east tend to me much larger than shipments to Europe. Economies of scale apply resulting in much cheaper shipping charges on the products that go the US.

EXCHANGE RATES
If we could predict how the worldwide exchange rates would fluctuate then we wouldn’t be working in the music industry! Will exchange rates fluctuating as much as they have in the last 6 months it is very hard to achieve a lasting price parity across multiple currencies.

INFO FOR EUROPEAN CUSTOMERS THINKING ABOUT BUYING FROM THE US

Customers in Europe thinking about buying from the US should consider the following before making their purchase:
When buying on credit card customers won’t enjoy the published exchange rate. Typically credit card companies will use an exchange rate that differs by 5-10% in their favor.

Shipping costs from the US to Europe are much higher (especially on hardware) than local shipping rates.

When products from the US hit local customs customers are liable not only for the local import duty but will also pay local Sales Tax (VAT) when the product is imported.

US products shipped to Europe will not be under warranty, and vice versa.
Thanks for taking the time again Jesse, much appriciated, and thanks for opening up this thread, I do realise this is an Akai issue and you guys are getting the flack maybe let someone from Akai on here to defend their position, we'll be nice, promise :evil:

There is nothing here I did not know however, I do understand the taxes involved very well and no matter what way you look it it doesn't add up.

As you say comparing like with like, €377 is still equal to $490

I see some shops over here now have the APC at €445 street price.

Anyway, I'm sick of talking numbers and no official statement explains the reality.
The Reality wrote: The APC 40 is a great product, a must have for any Live user. Akai spotted this and decided to do a little bit of profitering, while still getting kudos for keeping the US street price so low.

Here is the real comparsion:

I think that most people will agree the the Akai MPD is an Akai controller that very much resembles the APC in build, weight, components etc.

Akai APC 40 Quoted Street: US$399
European Street : €445

$177 more expensive in Europe

Akai MPD 32 US Street (Sam ash): US$329
European Street (Thomann): €249

$6 cheaper in Europe

Do taxes, shipping etc explain that, er, no.

I think it is obivious that Akai are taking a good chunk of Ableton's loyal customers for a ride, so please stop defending their stance. It doesn't look good for Ableton, if you cannot do anything about it's probably better to just distance yourselves as much as you can.

If Akai can sell MPD 32's over here for almost the same price as in the US they sure as hell can sell APC 40's over here for at least a 1:1 ratio when a €1=$1.30 as has been hovering about that for quiet a while now.

I'm sure this all made marketing sense in the run up to NAMM, I just hope lessons have been learn and Ableton will not allow this to happen in future. It's blatant profitering on Akai's part and it's fucking sick no matter what way you look at it.

jonny72

Post by jonny72 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:28 pm

DJ Marky Marc wrote:Someone told me Akai are now owned by Numark... and to be careful of this product because Numark are famous for cutting costs and using cheep parts where possible...

??
Akai, Alesis, Ion Audio and Numark and are all owned by Numark Industries.
MacBook Pro 13" Early 2011 - OS X 10.7.4

vicz

Enough about the price already!

Post by vicz » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:31 pm

This is a great thread, except for all of this carping about the price. It costs what it costs, if you don't like it, don't buy it. Stuff costs more in Europe for all kinds of reasons, mostly because generally Europeans are used to paying more for stuff, and do; but partly because of higher taxes, higher wages, higher energy and distribution costs, software and documentation localisation costs, smaller markets with diverse language, tax, employment laws, quality standards, CE mark, import duties, etc etc get the picture? Aaarggh! :evil: :evil:

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:39 pm

Jesse wrote:
The return tracks are included in the mixer instant mapping on the APC40 right? And presumably show up after all the regular tracks? So if I've gat 13 track and 3 sends, that'll fit nicely into two banks of faders?

No. It's on the wishlist though, we'll see if it makes it into a future update.
That's a pretty serious ommission.
Last edited by glitchrock-buddha on Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Professional Shark Jumper.

beatpoet

Re: Enough about the price already!

Post by beatpoet » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:53 pm

vicz wrote:This is a great thread, except for all of this carping about the price. It costs what it costs, if you don't like it, don't buy it. Stuff costs more in Europe for all kinds of reasons, mostly because generally Europeans are used to paying more for stuff, and do; but partly because of higher taxes, higher wages, higher energy and distribution costs, software and documentation localisation costs, smaller markets with diverse language, tax, employment laws, quality standards, CE mark, import duties, etc etc get the picture? Aaarggh! :evil: :evil:
Can you not read, look at the reality box above again, two products made by the same company with a lot of the same costs, taxes shipping etc. One costs 45% more the other is practically the same. Build costs aside, it cost Akai practically the same to get both these products to market.

Anyway, I've made my point and finished carping. I'll be getting my APC to when they drop, I just think these discrepancies need to be highlighted, hopefully when the next controller comes out Akai might see sense.

Blurr

Post by Blurr » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:57 pm

So there is NO control of Return Tracks ? ? I'm having trouble believing this.

How does it handle Folder Tracks ?

Yes, I'm repeating myself, 8)

radib

Post by radib » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:47 pm

i don´t work much with return tracks inboard, at least not the way that i would need real control over it. people should get away, that everything has the total priority at the same time, and that a controller would be something like a 3 d abstract (of their ableton live) they could dive in and be god. there are always limitations, which rarely is a bad thing.

the price is fair for what this piece seems to deliver. that video might display its dimensions. the only thing i´m still a bit afraid of are stability/timing issues (drivers).
-

"after all it wouldn´t have been possible without the impossible."

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:03 pm

There is control of return tracks, if you don't send it anything you don't hear anything. For performing Live you really have to keep it simple you don't want to stand there in the dark fiddling with shift modes so one know has 15 different functions. So yeah would be cool to have return faders but by no means essential.