APC 40 FAQs, features and questions

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
n8sum

Re: APC 40 FAQs, features and questions

Post by n8sum » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:05 am

To whom it may concern,

Akai released the APC 40 midi documentation via their monthly news letter although a direct link is impossible to find in their support page. It is a welcomed addition to the seemingly minimal support users receive from Akai.

Hardware image overlay:
- http://www.akaipro.com/extras/product/a ... C40map.jpg

Technical specifications:
http://www.akaipro.com/extras/product/a ... _rev_1.pdf

It's about time Akai, nice work! I hesitate to provide too much congratulations as this documentation should have been in the user manual when the unit shipped. However, this information is appreciated and I hope this signals a change in your support efforts in the future.

1-0ne

alex pardo

Post by alex pardo » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:28 am

The CC18 goes crazy and y can't configure anything because of that i can't configure nothing!! :evil:

n8sum

Post by n8sum » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:36 pm

alex pardo wrote:The CC18 goes crazy and y can't configure anything because of that i can't configure nothing!! :evil:
Sounds like you might need to clean it. From your description the knob is triggering by itself and that tends to happen if (a) there is a broken/warped component or (b) it is dirty. The latter is most likely the case and the least expensive to resolve. I don't know if you can pull the knob out to get a better view but using a q-tip with rubbing alcohol or blowing in some compressed air will do wonders (note: unplug the unit while cleaning to make your APC a happy APC).

Hope that resolves your problem.

1-0ne

noid19

Post by noid19 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:18 pm

question, my akai seems to stop reading albleton on some sessions....it works for a while, then suddenly turns into a blank pad...this is rather fustrating for i cant get it back, i havent midi mapped anything too....it just does it at random...is there a setting to turn it back to a ABLETON based midi controller?

please help!!!!

cheers

RajahP

Post by RajahP » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:08 am

Live APC40 edition v.8 online now.. Really improves the APC's performance. Thanks.

UL

Post by UL » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:10 pm

I have hooked up the apc40 one time and it worked as intended. Currently for some reason it dosent work as intended and plays music like a midi keyboard and not as an actual clip launcher. the pads are blank and i have no idea why it wont go back to the regular settings. I am using an RME Fireface 800. could somebody post their midi settings on here so i might be able to figure out what im doing wrong? thanks

chelemasty

Post by chelemasty » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:42 am

Here's my setting.
Equipments: Softwares, hardwares, plastics and metal controllers, computers, headphones, a pair monitor speaker, and electricity to power them up.

Daduk

Post by Daduk » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:21 pm

Hello all,

Is it possible not only turning a device on and of but also to activate/see the device on your computer screen when getting activated?

Cheerss,

Daduk

UL

Post by UL » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:08 am

chelemasty,
below is what me preferences look like. It does not give me the APC40 as an option for the input and output for my midi device. The same goes for me axiom 49, however i do not have a problem getting it to work i just select usb device as the input and it works fine. The problem is when i do it for the apc 40 it turns into a not playing keyboard rather than a actual program controller. any ideas from here?

chelemasty

Post by chelemasty » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:43 am

UL wrote:chelemasty,
below is what me preferences look like. It does not give me the APC40 as an option for the input and output for my midi device. The same goes for me axiom 49, however i do not have a problem getting it to work i just select usb device as the input and it works fine. The problem is when i do it for the apc 40 it turns into a not playing keyboard rather than a actual program controller. any ideas from here?

Make sure you plug the power supply and the USB properly. Or make sure if the USB slot is working. LEt me know after that. Coz Ableton should recognize the APC.
Equipments: Softwares, hardwares, plastics and metal controllers, computers, headphones, a pair monitor speaker, and electricity to power them up.

UL

Post by UL » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:28 am

i finally got it working. I guess my computer will recognize both my apc and my axiom as usb 1 and usb 2, rather than their actual names. thanks for the info :D

chelemasty

Post by chelemasty » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:37 am

UL wrote:i finally got it working. I guess my computer will recognize both my apc and my axiom as usb 1 and usb 2, rather than their actual names. thanks for the info :D
Make sure to turn on both MIDI port's input and output's "TRACK" and "REMOTE" like what I did on mine. This will allow you to map and for the knobs to remember the values if you change banks.

UL

Post by UL » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:45 am

yeah i used your settings and everything works exactly how i want it. I actually feel a little dumb, when i finally figured out to use the usb names rather than apc and axiom it all clicked. Thanks

chelemasty

Post by chelemasty » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:53 am

UL wrote:yeah i used your settings and everything works exactly how i want it. I actually feel a little dumb, when i finally figured out to use the usb names rather than apc and axiom it all clicked. Thanks
You're welcome, glad I could help.

whalebox

Post by whalebox » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:34 pm

Does anyone know how I can find a replacement APC40 power supply? I left mine at the bar after my first time playing out with it (seriously). I know akai sells one for $30 + shipping but I'd rather just grab one at radioshack or something. My problem is I don't know which third-party adapter will work.

Akai's site says it's 12V 2.0A pin-positive, but I don't know what the size of the plug is or if there's a way to figure that out.

Any ideas/links to working power supplies? Thanks guys