recording free-tempo audio issues.

Share your Ableton Live secrets here
jlanpheer

recording free-tempo audio issues.

Post by jlanpheer » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:17 pm

Hi-

I am running version Ableton 9.1 (the latest) and i'm encountering something bizarre, its probably a setting or something.

I recorded some free-form music on my sax (a Christmas carol) and am simply trying to record a second track along with it in harmony. I arm the track and all of that, and hit record. I record "successfully", but the result is not what i recorded, instead it seems to have lots of 'hesitations' in it and what sound like 'repeated notes' or 'pulses' or 'echoes'.

My theory is/was that Live is trying to warp what i am trying to record. I went into Preferences and turned 'Auto-warp long samples' to 'Off'. No change in behavior was seen. I've tried recording in both session and arrangement view, no changes in results.

The music has no tempo, it's free-form so i don't want to warp it. I also tried exporting the audio to a sample editor (thinking that Live was warping it in its environment, but outside of it, i would hear the audio that i recorded), but it has the same pulse artifacts that are audible in Live.

I just wanna record straight, un-warped audio in Live and can't seem to get it to work now. What am i missing?

cheers to all and thanx!

Valiumdupeuple

Re: recording free-tempo audio issues.

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:14 pm

Then maybe your audio buffer is set to low and the computer is struggling when recording.

chrk

Re: recording free-tempo audio issues.

Post by chrk » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:09 am

jlanpheer wrote:My theory is/was that Live is trying to warp what i am trying to record.
An easy way to check your theory: Is the warp-button on the recorded clip on after recording? (Hint: It most probably is.)
I went into Preferences and turned 'Auto-warp long samples' to 'Off'. No change in behavior was seen. I've tried recording in both session and arrangement view, no changes in results.
The preference setting only works for imported samples. A clip you have just recorded will allways have Warp and Loop on with the default warp mode you have set in the same preference panel.
Maybe this is one for the Feature Wishlist subforum: Introduce a preference for auto-warping/-looping for recorded clips.
I just wanna record straight, un-warped audio in Live and can't seem to get it to work now. What am i missing?
Don't worry about your recording. It's only the playback that is warped. Turn off Warp at clip level before playing it.