Pad Kontrol questions

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
DaddyHam

Pad Kontrol questions

Post by DaddyHam » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:48 pm

Sorry, I am sure this subject has been beaten to death. Can somone walk me through the steps to sync my pad kontrol to live so that the corresponding drum rack plays with the pad. So the kick drum would be on pad 13 snare would be on 14 or 15 for example. I am running live on my macbook and the midi channel within the kontrol are set to channel 1. I've got the controller recognized in the midi preferences as well. Thanks for any help on this guys I ran the search but couldn't come up with anything in the forums.

skullNbones

Post by skullNbones » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:33 am

i think the main trick is to use factory preset Scene 1( i think, check pK manual) that one makes the pads correspond to the little pad map in your Drum Rack. if you fiddle with the mappings in that factory preset, its hard to get it to work. you can reset it to factory settings i believe if you have modified that preset. then you can put whatever sound you want into the drum rack cells and they map to the pK, even when you scroll through the 128 cells. hope that helps.
MacbookPro 2.33/ Live7/ APC-40/ BCR2000/ padKontrol/ Oxygen61/ Edirol FA-66/ KRK Rokit 5s with sub/ infinite possibility...

kraze

Post by kraze » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:35 pm

If you're so sure about this topic being beaten to death and searched, how come you didn't find the 10+ topics about it?

Press setting, tap a pad and flip the wheel until you got it mapped to the corresponding note.

It's not fucking rocket science and doesn't even have anything to do with ableton live. It's not about "syncing", it's controlling.

skullNbones

Post by skullNbones » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:50 pm

wow, someone's got their panties in a bunch. :roll: i think he was referring to getting it to map automatically to the cells in Drum Racks, which is a problem a lot of people seem to have when they first get the pK and is really frustrating till you figure out all you have to do is use preset scene 1(which you can copy and make into your own presets that you can modify, that way you can leave #1 a virgin, so you don't fuck it up) there are threads on it, but what you find depends how you search. you CAN painstakingly map each pad manually, but if you can just drag samples into your Drum Rack and have them go right to that pad on the pK automatically, why the F would you bother?
MacbookPro 2.33/ Live7/ APC-40/ BCR2000/ padKontrol/ Oxygen61/ Edirol FA-66/ KRK Rokit 5s with sub/ infinite possibility...

DaddyHam

Post by DaddyHam » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:36 pm

[quote="skullNbones"]i think the main trick is to use factory preset Scene 1( i think, check pK manual) that one makes the pads correspond to the little pad map in your Drum Rack. if you fiddle with the mappings in that factory preset, its hard to get it to work. you can reset it to factory settings i believe if you have modified that preset. then you can put whatever sound you want into the drum rack cells and they map to the pK, even when you scroll through the 128 cells. hope that helps.[/quote]

Ya this is exactly what I was talking about thanks a ton skull. I'll give this a go this morning. I really appreciate the patience this likely just saved me a day of searching around. I am still new to electronic music so some of this stuff is still really foreign. Anyway because of the nature of my problem, making it correspond to the little pads in drum rack, it kind of did have everything to do with ableton right? but you know, thanks for the attempt kraze, it was not my intentions to piss anyone off, I was just looking for some guidance.

DaddyHam

Post by DaddyHam » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:06 pm

Just gave it a whirl, and scene 11 on the pk I just bought matches up to the pads in the drum rack. Thanks again.

skullNbones

Post by skullNbones » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:26 am

yer welcome. scene 11 does sound familiar. i've learned a lot of what i know about Live just from reading this forum(reading the manual is key as well). usually i don't even need to pose my question directly, as most problems have already happened to someone else first. also, i find that i get more concise search results if i search for ALL terms instead of ANY. that usually narrows it down more, depending what you put in. enjoy your padKontrol, i love that little bastard, the x-y pad is especially fun when mapped to the right shit...

Superchibisan

Post by Superchibisan » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:29 am

if you get the editor for the PK you can change what the pads send real quick like. you can make ANY scene match the drum racks.

DaddyHam

Re: Pad Kontrol questions

Post by DaddyHam » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:46 pm

Oh ya? This is the actual korg pk editor that comes with the unit? I'll look into that because when scrolling the actual drum rack, the pads did not adjust. Hope that makes sense, but if you have a quick fix let me know.

Thanks for the searching tips sNb, I was always using ANY and ya it just takes so fucking long to get through the bullshit. I mean I love this forum, you are right, the information is amazing, but it is just not efficient. once I get my head around the PK basics I am jacked to dive into the X-Y, I might PM you for some tips if thats cool.

see the light

Post by see the light » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:43 am

Dude - your better off using the midi editor and creating a template that covers the entire banks across drumracks. So, scene 1 acts as the first 16 pads, scene 2 the next 16 pads, etc
www.soundcloud.com/passerines

Audio Fuck Jiggery since 2005

skullNbones

Post by skullNbones » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:52 pm

yeah dude, pm me if you want. i'm telling you, it's very simple, check this thread, Doc Holiday spells it out step by step. you might have to reset factory scene 1 if you jiggered with it at all and make sure you set up your preferences like he says and it follows the Drum Rack pads AUTOMATICALLY :!: http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... +Drum+Rack

DaddyHam

Post by DaddyHam » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:53 pm

Dude, that was the money shot. The problem was my input and output in preferences which I should have known about as I had them set correctly in the PK editor, but not in ableton. And I think I figured out the X Y pad which is sickly addicting. However, I don't think I would ever use a flam setting... I'm not sure I ever play flams when I actually play drums, rolls absolutely but flams? haha anyway thats a bit OT but thanks this just made my life that much better.

skullNbones

Post by skullNbones » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:50 am

the money shot,huh? 8O ........glad you finally got it running proper. yeah, i don't really flam or roll either, but i do use the hold button so when i let go of the x-y whatever i'm controlling stays in that spot. happy tapping, Mr. Ham!

jcobb00

Post by jcobb00 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:01 pm

see the light wrote:Dude - your better off using the midi editor and creating a template that covers the entire banks across drumracks. So, scene 1 acts as the first 16 pads, scene 2 the next 16 pads, etc
i like this idea.
i just gave it a try but the padkontrol editor does not reach the high and low notes on the ableton drum rack.
i tried setting it up using the knob on the pk but after i transmit the data or change the scene i lose it.
anyone have any ideas?
also, i have the pk instant mappings set up in ableton which are nice but mapping each pad to a different note would be the easiest because i could switch my drum banks without having to touch the computer (which i dont like because they do that stupid 3 up and down rather than 4 movement thing)
anyone have any idea on making it easier/hands free.

noiserot

Post by noiserot » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:37 am

jcobb00 wrote:anyone have any idea on making it easier/hands free.
I've read about this trick on here somewhere for switching pad selection on padkontrol. Haven't tried it though.

Code: Select all

pitch plug trick to make the selector on the right of the drum rack midi controllable or macro mappable: 
"in midi map mode, select the 'pitch' in the pitch plugin and hold pad 1 and pad 4 to map the 4-key range, and set the map range sliders from 0st to +36st. now you can flip between octaves. you only get 12 pads of drum hits instead of 16, but it works great. just layer your kits in sets of 12."
also, look into farmpad, which will give you more possibilities for the padkontrol