Dub EFX routing query...

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Ras Keita

Dub EFX routing query...

Post by Ras Keita » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:59 am

I want to use the Live mixer like I use my Mackie 24•8 with outboard EFX (Roland RE-201, Yamaha SPX-90) I input into the EFX using the AUX send and output using a channel, I don't use the returns. With Live I want to use Interruptor Analogic Delay on snare track. There aren't any AUX sends in Live, I've got a work around that somewhat works but the effect just isn't what I need, and doesn't give the control I'm looking for. Anyone have a working method they could possibly share it would be greatly appreciated...

Superchibisan

Re: Dub EFX routing query...

Post by Superchibisan » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:08 am

uh, you have these things called RETURN channels. they are off to the right. next to the master channel.

those are your aux sends. they correspond with the SEND knobs on each channel

look at that, you got your mackie back :)

Ras Keita

Post by Ras Keita » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:51 am

I understand and know about the returns, but I want to use audio tracks/channel as the return. A mixer usually has send and return, I don't use the return I use say channel 15 as the return for say AUX 1, channel 16 as return for AUX 2 and so on. The send is input into an effect and the channel is the output, that way I have more control over the effect also ability to EQ and effect. For instance I have a vocal track with a tape delay I want to add "dub effect to last word, I use send to input echo, perhaps I've set the the feedback to infinity, I can then bring the echo up with the track slider after say four bars and then automate the slider to fade to taste. Same applies to effects on guitars, snares, etc. Using the returns lessens the control of "dubbing". I'm hoping this makes sense, from your response I'm thinking I wasn't making sense. Cubase for instance has AUX sends I drop an effect on the AUX send and return it to an audio channel, Reason also has the ability to add an effect plug the input into a send and output to an mixer channel.

Superchibisan

Post by Superchibisan » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:15 am

ok, very easy. ableton is amazing for routing.

two ways you can do this. you can EASILY just throw an eq and whatever else effect you want on to the return bus and HAVE CONTROL over it like you want. it routes to the master, so you will hear all your changes.

OR

you can take the output of ableton's return and send it to a CHANNEL you create. all the routing should be located in drop down boxes above the send knobs. just drop it down and point it at the channel you want. then set the monitor switch of that channel to IN. viola.
this method though will use MORE CPU because you have MORE channels and MORE routing.

i strongly suggest the first method.

also, read the manual. this is all in there :)

blakbeltjonez

Post by blakbeltjonez » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:32 pm

return on channel strip is more flexible, especially for dub. route the returns to open input channels and you're good.

rewind

Post by rewind » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:27 am

Is there anything a normal channel in Live can do that a return channel can't? :?:

I always thought they were exactly the same. (Except that a return receive audio from sends, and a normal channel can't, obviously).

8O

Post by 8O » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:54 am

rewind wrote:Is there anything a normal channel in Live can do that a return channel can't? :?:

I always thought they were exactly the same. (Except that a return receive audio from sends, and a normal channel can't, obviously).
Return channels can't contain clips or instruments (so actually, the clip slots in the return channels are redundant), but apart from that - for audio processing - they're the same.

rewind

Post by rewind » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:23 am

8O wrote:
rewind wrote:Is there anything a normal channel in Live can do that a return channel can't? :?:

Return channels can't contain clips or instruments (so actually, the clip slots in the return channels are redundant), but apart from that - for audio processing - they're the same.
Ah right, of course. So if you want to use clip envelopes to automate your send effects you have to use a real channel. I get it. Cheers!

I also remember reading somewhere on this forum (I think in a post by Henke?) that return channels clip out at around +15db but normal channels basically never clip.