All times are UTC

Post subject: midi files import
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:45 am 

Im using Reason 4 with Live, and I have been trying to find a way to import my redrum midi files into impulse or drum Racks. More precisely, how to do it so that the correct sounds are triggered. I use but don't fully understand MIDI, at least how it breaks down into key ranges and channels, so I waste a lot of work time dragging my midi hits into the correct slot in Impulse and Drum Racks. Is this a necessary evil, or is there something I can do to make ti easier (I suspect there is, I just don;t know it)l

tony

Post subject: Re: midi files import
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:52 am 

when you export from reason, it should make a midi file for each track which is represented in the sequencer. so you may need to copy the patterns from redrum to the sequencer, if they are not already there.

then when you rewire it to live, unfold the midi file in the live browser and you should see all the individual tracks. drag those onto live midi tracks. set the output of each track so that it goes to reason->appropriate device

from here on out you can just sequence in live and play reason thru rewire. also, look into using the external instrument device for this, because then you will get audio on each track instead of either having a stereo mix from reason, or 2x the track count (midi out + audio in for each reason device)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:46 am 

That's a cool tip...my problem, though was dragging the reason files into the impulse or Drum racks slot. Maybe I wasn't completely clear. I love making drum tracks in Redrum, but I love the sounds I get in Live, and its ease of use. When I midi'd a reason track in Live, everything came out great except the redrum patterns, which wound up triggering sounds other than the ones I wanted. I usually had to go back in and rearrange the slots in one of the Live devices, or drag the midi data around.

tony

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:03 pm 

ok I think I understand now

the redrum should be playing a set array of MIDI notes

set up a drum rack with simplers, so that the chains are set to be playing those ReDrum notes. then MIDI files dragged onto that track should correspond.

save the blank drum rack to use later.

if your concern is trying to play existing drum rack presets - the problem is lord knows how the notes are set up on those. you might have a little bit of luck with trying to use the GM setup. (can't remember atm if that is an impulse preset? midi FX preset??) because I think that at least the Ableton drum racks might be set up on GM standard notes. I'm not really sure about that, though.

?

you might also want to get a step-seq plugin to use for drums in Live, and skip reason altogether