controller question / moldover-style

Share your Ableton Live secrets here
xsic

controller question / moldover-style

Post by xsic » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:40 am

hello forum,

i just saw moldover doing this controller-thing ;-)
there is one specific question i got:
he mapped a note (say A#1) to the channel mute (or on/off) switch and he was able to press that key in order to let the sound come through. say, when he pressed that key and held it down, the sound was audible, as soon as he released it, the sound was off. nice feature ! BUT, i just can not do it! assigning a key/note to a certain parameter is no problem, and i can achieve this feature by using a button on my controller (axiom 49). or with a sidechain gate triggered by a synth.
but i really want to have this by pressing a note (say A#1
;-)).
i saw this in his "how to show" and "controllerizm" videos.

can anybody help me?

best regards
manu

live 7 - axiom 49 - emu xboard 25 - macbook - leopard 10.5.6
macbook pro 2,4 Ghz - OS 10.5.7 - live 8.0.3 - logic studio
xsic on virb
2bitpreacher on virb

pepezabala

Re: controller question / moldover-style

Post by pepezabala » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:17 am

assign a CC (not a note) to the volume slider? or to the utility plug?

xsic

Post by xsic » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:22 am

that´s what i thought of and i tried it, and sure it works, but it is not the same as playing with keys. i really want to be able to play it with the keyboard. or is it possible to let a keyboard note send an CC ? (i´m not that xpert in midi-questions;-)

anyway, thanks for your thought!
xsic on virb
2bitpreacher on virb

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:41 pm

Ok heres what to do......

First it relies on setting up a channel with an audio clip in it that's just a noise, duplicate this clip so that you have two copies and place them in line....

Set the top clip to launch mode "GAte" with a follow action of "play Below" after 010...

Set the second clip on a loop....

On your audio channel set up a gate with a sidechain to the audio channel with your two clips in, when you midi map a key to play the first clip it'll kick the gate in and play the audio through, when you release the note your audio stops.... however leave the key on for longer than a beat and the second clip kicks in giving you the audio on all the time....

Cheers to Chev thewizard from aldj.com for sorting this one out for me....

CHeers
D

xsic

Post by xsic » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:01 am

sweet !!

thanx a lot D.
xsic on virb
2bitpreacher on virb

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:25 am

You could also use a MIDI filtering app to convert note off messages into note on. That way Live will take the key release as a 2nd note and act as a trigger instead of a toggle.

MBP 2.3 GHz i5, Live 9.6.1, Push, MPD32, Rane SL2

xsic

Post by xsic » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:41 am

hey rbmonosylabik,

what MIDI filtering app would you suggest ?
xsic on virb
2bitpreacher on virb

max2f

Post by max2f » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:55 pm

on mac try first aid (freeware - should do the job however i didnt get along with it) and junxion (which translates hid as well... you will have to want to try this ^^)

Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:27 am

Moldover is using Reaktor to achieve all this. Download his templates and check them out (if you have Reaktor), namely the Fader Puncher. The channel volumes in Moldover's Live set are stationary - his faders are assigned to volumes in Reaktor. This is so that he can cut sounds in with the keys while the faders are down.

This could potentially be done in Live without Reaktor. Set up a pre-fade send and assign a momentary MIDI control to it. Simple. The problem is if Live only sees the control as a toggle, not momentary.

IF WE COULD CHANGE THIS IN LIVE LIKE WE EASILY CAN IN TRAKTOR OR GOD KNOWS HOW MANY OTHER PROGRAMS then I wouldn't have to shout.
MacBook Pro 2.2GHz, OSX 10.6.6
Presonus Firebox, APC40
Ableton Suite 9

max2f

Post by max2f » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:53 am

I see a lack in saving and creating templates in LIVE. there should be a lot easier approach to create (and change the ones you find), than the one the abes chose (which one is that one btw?? i dont really know the idea they had for that)

any answers are very appreciated.

max

audiovoid

Post by audiovoid » Mon May 18, 2009 1:26 am

I achieved this by creating an fx rack. Only thing is that I am bypassing the Live Mixer faders and instead using the rack's 'Gain' adjustment. You also will need a controller with the ability to edit button controller's and change them to Momentary 'mom' controllers. And if wanting to do this with keys you'll have to use Bomes or something similar.
I'm using the s-buttons on my akai mpd30 or the buttons on my tiny korg Nano Kontrol (which come out of the box as 'mom' controls).
SO> In an empty rack, create two levels and mute level number 2.
In 'Rack Map' mode, assign Level 1's volume to The 1st Macro Knob and set the upper limit to 0db. Then assign Level 2's mute (speaker Icon) button to Macro number 2 (you might need to Invert the min max values on this one, I cant remember).
Then open up the Racks Chain area and create a normal crossfade range between Level 1 and 2 with level 1's main range ending at 126 instead of 127.

Now u can assign Macro knob 1 as main channel volume control and Macro 2 as a 'Punch in' transformer button that only works when you kill the channel volume.
I also assign a 'mom' button to the main channels mute control so When the level fader is up I can do temporary mute presses.
It's a pretty flexible little system, I gotta say.
audiovoid.net
Macbook pro,
MacPro 8 core
running OSX, &
WinXP through Bootcamp and Fusion

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Mon May 18, 2009 4:48 am

you can also put a "gate" midi effect on the channel, activate side chain, and send some simpler audio into the side chain.

When you play a note it opens the gate.

Lame part about this technique is you need a simpler PER channel, ya know?

One time i got this to work w/my remote SL just setting the button to momentary... haven't got it work since though..
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

xsic

Post by xsic » Mon May 18, 2009 7:32 am

many thanks for your tips !!!

i have to check out audiovoid´s suggestion.
xsic on virb
2bitpreacher on virb

audiovoid

Post by audiovoid » Fri May 22, 2009 8:38 am

Here's a link to my rack that I made for this. Actually this is a combination of that and my old "dj hp/lp filter rack" with automatic high end dip as you sweep through those screaming frequencies towards the top.
The top macros are for the filter/dj controls, and the lower ones are for the channel volume, mute punch, and Transformer Punch in (only when volume fader is down). Also remember that for the punch/transform controls to really work you need a controller that has momentary buttons (or the ability to edit them and change them to mom).

http://audiovoid.net/abe/av-DJ_EQ_highT ... hs.adg.zip

Hit me up if anyone has any questions.
Last edited by audiovoid on Sat May 23, 2009 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
audiovoid.net
Macbook pro,
MacPro 8 core
running OSX, &
WinXP through Bootcamp and Fusion

max2f

Post by max2f » Fri May 22, 2009 7:19 pm

audiovoid wrote:Here's a link to my rack that I made for this. Actually this is a combination of that and my old "dj hp/lp filter rack" with automatic high end dip as you sweep through those screaming frequencies towards the top.
The top macros are for the filter/dj controls, and the lower ones are for the channel volume, mute punch, and Transformer Punch in (only when volume fader is down). Also remember that for the punch/transform controls to really work you need a controller that has momentary buttons (or the ability to edit them and change them to mom).

http://audiovoid.net/abe/av-DJ_EQ_highT ... hs.adg.zip

Hit me up if anyone has any questions.
i cant load it into audio or midi tracks. is this created with live 8?