DIY Ableton foot controller build thread!

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
gncgry

Re: DIY Ableton foot controller build thread!

Post by gncgry » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:09 pm

hooooolllyy!!!! 8O that was nice Gab.

i have a spare m-audio oxygen 8 that i can turn into a foot controller. any advice or someone previously did that?
gear: Live + 10 fingers.

Listen: goodgame

laidlaw

Post by laidlaw » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:59 am

Thank you so much, this idea has inspired me a lot.
After hours of wiring, prototyping and experimentation I finally have brilliant controller. It started out as an idea for a MIDI foot controller but has evolved into an Ableton Live workstation.
I use ControllerMate to program everything from notes to CC if desired. It works brilliantly and feels easier to play for me.
There is a Launchpad and 11-inch display that have been mounted to the inside and I use the BCR2000 as I am yet to add knobs and faders. The internals also have space for an audio interface, mouse/trackpad, keyboard and a 13 or 15-inch laptop.
The buttons in the center are shaped to match my hands at resting position and have LEDs. Smaller buttons are latching and momentary, and there are also 10 switches.
Because of the ghosting problem most typing keyboards have (meaning I can only press certain keys at the same time and maximum of like 6 keys) latching buttons and switches have become almost useless but i've purchased some diodes to solder to each button which while allow all of the keys to be triggered without ghosting (tested and working on another project).

The paint job is amateur, waiting on a friend to finish it up, but I managed to get UV face paint to adhere to the surface and it looks bad ass in person.
The only thing left to do is experiment with the mappings and work some knobs and faders into it to replace the BCR2000.

Thanks again.

Last edited by laidlaw on Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JoshG567

Post by JoshG567 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:34 am

Holy fuck that's badass.