New Producers Question Series: Question 1: NEED HELP!

Share your Ableton Live secrets here

Do you Recommend taking a music certificate course?

Yes
6
55%
No
5
45%
 
Total votes: 11

bland_handl
Posts: 239
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:08 am
Location: sydney

Re: New Producers Question Series: Question 1: NEED HELP!

Post by bland_handl » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:56 am

Music, Audio and the Creative Process is a great thing to explore and wallow in, and many years can be enjoyed in doing just that - exploring and discovering.

The same can be said for carpentry, cooking, or chemistry - or anything like that.

So yeah, while self-"teaching" is a bit of an oxymoron, that approach is totally an option. Especially if music and audio is a hobby for you or a side-interest. (Ableton Live is better than TV or Playstation in my opinion!)

But if it's something you're more serious about, then yeah, you want to learn from professionals - no matter how you access them. Books / bosses / mentors / colleges, etc.

In any other trade you'd do a 4 year apprenticeship or similar, but music is an apprenticeship that you do your whole life. I work full-time in the industry and I never stop learning, and never stop looking for new input.

Either way, what I'd recommend is to get the basics done first - and courses can easily help there. Some basic music playing and theory - some basic audio engineering - and a course to fast-track your software of choice.

After that, exploring on your own requires much less guesswork.

markos
Posts: 130
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:41 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: New Producers Question Series: Question 1: NEED HELP!

Post by markos » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:34 am

bland_handl wrote:Music, Audio and the Creative Process is a great thing to explore and wallow in, and many years can be enjoyed in doing just that - exploring and discovering.

The same can be said for carpentry, cooking, or chemistry - or anything like that.

So yeah, while self-"teaching" is a bit of an oxymoron, that approach is totally an option. Especially if music and audio is a hobby for you or a side-interest. (Ableton Live is better than TV or Playstation in my opinion!)

But if it's something you're more serious about, then yeah, you want to learn from professionals - no matter how you access them. Books / bosses / mentors / colleges, etc.

In any other trade you'd do a 4 year apprenticeship or similar, but music is an apprenticeship that you do your whole life. I work full-time in the industry and I never stop learning, and never stop looking for new input.

Either way, what I'd recommend is to get the basics done first - and courses can easily help there. Some basic music playing and theory - some basic audio engineering - and a course to fast-track your software of choice.

After that, exploring on your own requires much less guesswork.
Great post!

i would totally agree. as a graduate of a carpentry certificate as well i have to say that you don't learn all the tricks of the trade right off the bat but i am confident enough to be able to build a shed or small home on my own. Obviously with some assistance and guidence on the way never hurts but i feel strongly about pursuing an educational backround in music.

Thanks for the input bland_handl

Doctor Doctor
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:12 pm

Re: New Producers Question Series: Question 1: NEED HELP!

Post by Doctor Doctor » Wed May 20, 2009 5:01 pm

Hi again Markos,

I'm interested to know which course you went for in the end? the min tech ableton course at point blank was great, thoughroughly recommended!

markos
Posts: 130
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:41 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: New Producers Question Series: Question 1: NEED HELP!

Post by markos » Wed May 20, 2009 5:13 pm

Doctor Doctor wrote:Hi again Markos,

I'm interested to know which course you went for in the end? the min tech ableton course at point blank was great, thoughroughly recommended!
Doctor Doctor!

Hi again,

I haven't gone with any course yet. Im still finishing up a couple things at the moment (website with community and a 3 year advanced diploma course in marketing) so the cash flow is a little low. THinking about the pointblank one since it is very affordable but probably won't take it until after september. I would still like to pursue my Berklee Professional Certificate but once again it is very expensive.

all in time i guess..

Doctor Doctor
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:12 pm

Re: New Producers Question Series: Question 1: NEED HELP!

Post by Doctor Doctor » Thu May 21, 2009 9:21 am

markos wrote:
Doctor Doctor wrote:Hi again Markos,

I'm interested to know which course you went for in the end? the min tech ableton course at point blank was great, thoughroughly recommended!
Doctor Doctor!

Hi again,

I haven't gone with any course yet. Im still finishing up a couple things at the moment (website with community and a 3 year advanced diploma course in marketing) so the cash flow is a little low. THinking about the pointblank one since it is very affordable but probably won't take it until after september. I would still like to pursue my Berklee Professional Certificate but once again it is very expensive.

all in time i guess..
yeah, for me, the money spent on a course as expensive as the Berklee Certificate is better off going towards beefing up my home studio set up now i've got the technical grounding i need. anyway, good luck with your various projects and whatever course you decide on.

markos
Posts: 130
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:41 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: New Producers Question Series: Question 1: NEED HELP!

Post by markos » Thu May 21, 2009 1:59 pm

Doctor Doctor wrote:
markos wrote:
Doctor Doctor wrote:Hi again Markos,

I'm interested to know which course you went for in the end? the min tech ableton course at point blank was great, thoughroughly recommended!
Doctor Doctor!

Hi again,

I haven't gone with any course yet. Im still finishing up a couple things at the moment (website with community and a 3 year advanced diploma course in marketing) so the cash flow is a little low. THinking about the pointblank one since it is very affordable but probably won't take it until after september. I would still like to pursue my Berklee Professional Certificate but once again it is very expensive.

all in time i guess..
yeah, for me, the money spent on a course as expensive as the Berklee Certificate is better off going towards beefing up my home studio set up now i've got the technical grounding i need. anyway, good luck with your various projects and whatever course you decide on.

yeah well see there is an option for everything. Personally i dont really need a whole lot more of gear since im more of a midi based studio running a whole lot of VST's but then again there is always the need to want to buy something. Plus i think understanding the concept of music production, mixing techniques and some minor mastering stuff is more important to me at the moment then stocking up on various pieces of equipment. in time i will have my dream studio so right now im concentrating on understanding how to use all that dream equipment and learning how to use it properly.

plus i wouldn't mind even pursueing a career with ableton on day. maybe as a certified trainer or something else!

Post Reply