Virus Ti automation in Live 7

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
JMFOne

Virus Ti automation in Live 7

Post by JMFOne » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:17 pm

Hey guys

I have spent a while away from the studio and I have forgotten how to automate the modulation parameters on my virus ti polar in ableton live 7. How do I do it and am I right in thinking that it should open out into a clip envelope for me to automate as normal?
At the moment I'm doing it all live as I record which is a real pain in the arse.

Thanks in advance.
15" Apple Macbook Pro, mid 2012, 2.6GHz 8GB RAM 750GB HD, Ableton Live 9.2, Virus TI Polar

interpolate

Re: Virus Ti automation in Live 7

Post by interpolate » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:08 pm

There are 2 ways.

The first is in arrange in a regular automation lane, but as you probably noticed it only gives you access to the parameters of the "easy pages" for all the different parts. You can still get around this by re-assigning the 3 parameter knobs to whatever you were planning on automating.

The second is to go into the clip envelope section (at the bottom of Ableton), and manually send data to whatever cc you like. I have a list of all the Virus TI cc's on my home computer, alas I am at work, but you shouldn't have any problems hunting that one down.

And on a side note, there are a few parameters that can't automated via cc or automation lane, what solution to this is to assign the parameter in the mod matrix for the Mod Wheel.
Ableton Suite 8 & Max4Live

Thinktanx

Post by Thinktanx » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:24 am

Right click (control-click) on the parameter you want to automate in the Virus Control and select "Add _-_ to Automation List". Voila! It is added to the available automation lanes in Ableton.
Machinedrum SPS-1 UW MkII, Monomachine SFX-6
Moog Voyager Signature Edition
Virus TI Polar
Live 8, Operator, Sampler
Reaktor 5, Massive, FM8, Sound Toys Bundle
Pro Tools 7.4
Mac G5 Dual 2.5 GHz
Macbook Pro 15-in. 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Hi Phi

Post by Hi Phi » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:49 pm

Whoa...I didn't know about the control-click assignment method in Virus Control! That is so helpful. Thanks.

Thinktanx

Post by Thinktanx » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:52 pm

Hi Phi wrote:Whoa...I didn't know about the control-click assignment method in Virus Control! That is so helpful. Thanks.
Yeah, I didn't either for the first 6 months I owned the TI. Talk about changing the game when I figured it out. :lol:

I never read the manual, so...
Virus TI Polar
Pro Tools 7.4
Mac G5 Dual 2.5 GHz

LaSonique

Post by LaSonique » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:17 pm

Thinktanx wrote:Right click (control-click) on the parameter you want to automate in the Virus Control and select "Add _-_ to Automation List". Voila! It is added to the available automation lanes in Ableton.
HI

I'm having the same problem also. Can't work out how to record the automation on a track recorded from the VIRUS TI. Right click and add to Automation List as instructed above, but voila - what? What do I do now?

Serious novice here.
Help appreciated.
Thanks!
Lara

Thinktanx

Post by Thinktanx » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:00 am

LaSonique wrote:
Thinktanx wrote:Right click (control-click) on the parameter you want to automate in the Virus Control and select "Add _-_ to Automation List". Voila! It is added to the available automation lanes in Ableton.
HI

I'm having the same problem also. Can't work out how to record the automation on a track recorded from the VIRUS TI. Right click and add to Automation List as instructed above, but voila - what? What do I do now?

Serious novice here.
Help appreciated.
Thanks!
Lara
Either put the session in record and automate the desired parameter with your mouse or a controller, or simply draw in the automation in the clip or on the arrangement page.
Virus TI Polar
Pro Tools 7.4
Mac G5 Dual 2.5 GHz

LaSonique

Post by LaSonique » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:21 am

Hi

Thanks for the reply. Finally worked it out - it was really easy in hindsight!

Thanks again
Lara
Thinktanx wrote:
LaSonique wrote:
HI

Serious novice here.
Help appreciated.
Thanks!
Lara
Either put the session in record and automate the desired parameter with your mouse or a controller, or simply draw in the automation in the clip or on the arrangement page.

shinobi

Post by shinobi » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:50 pm

Sorry guys I'm new to this too . I did add the parameter to be automated in Virus Control, just can't find it in envelopes as a control... :(

shinobi

Post by shinobi » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:29 pm

Can it be done in Session View using the Virus Ti knobs?

tigre251

Post by tigre251 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:27 pm

I have M-audio Axiom 49 Midi Controller and Access Virus Ti2.
I had the same problem and actually I've found this thread and solved it! Thanks !

Apparently just click with left mouse button on the parameter in Virus Control (like you want to change the value or move knob by mouse) and you should see MIDI CC# number in envelope section ( it is letter "E" - Envelopes box) in the clip.

Another new device Virus Ti will be automaticaly added (there is already MIDI Ctrl by default but you can use only program A Midi CC# numbers from the Virus MIDI list).

After click you can program each parameter in my VIRUS TI2. This is so great!

weblogik

Re: Virus Ti automation in Live 8

Post by weblogik » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:16 pm

Sorry to bump up an old thread but im having an issue with my new TI2.

I currently have on the Virus control
Ch1 USB1
Ch2 Output 1 l/r
ch3 Output 2 l/r

In Ableton (8) i have a midi track that sends to an audio track where i drop live effects in.

However every time I try to record automation on Ch2 in live it records it over ch1. I feel like im missing something obvious but im missing it nonetheless...
here is an image of my routing
Thanks!

weblogik

Post by weblogik » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:25 pm

I think i got it...
All different channel modulations take place in the track with the Virus Control plug in.

So if on channel 2 it adds (2) in front of control change but gets done in the main automation lane... I think? if anyone can shed any more light that would be appreciated...