help! how to remove a vocal from a track to make an acapella

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
superfox

help! how to remove a vocal from a track to make an acapella

Post by superfox » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:53 am

I want to remix a song but need to know how to strip just the vocal so that I can have an acapella for the beat I have made. Any suggestion to get that done and maybe some tips on how to chop or stutter after I get the acapella??

Thanks in advance, as i have heard of this being possible but have n idea how to do it.

DJD

Re: help! how to remove a vocal from a track to make an acapella

Post by DJD » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:32 am

no easy way to do it....you can try to filter them out....itll sound like you filtered them out though... no good :?

i would recomend looking for the vocals online. you would be supprised at what you can find online.. check youtube as well. if you can find it on youtube you can do some jimmyriggin on your sound card and resample it.

as for the stutter...use beat repeat... or throw your vocals into arrangement view and chop them up by hand

superfox

Post by superfox » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:43 pm

DJD wrote:no easy way to do it....you can try to filter them out....itll sound like you filtered them out though... no good :?

i would recomend looking for the vocals online. you would be supprised at what you can find online.. check youtube as well. if you can find it on youtube you can do some jimmyriggin on your sound card and resample it.

as for the stutter...use beat repeat... or throw your vocals into arrangement view and chop them up by hand

Thank you for the advice DJD!
Is there a site or link you would recommend to how the "on youtube you can do some jimmyriggin on your sound card and resample it?"?????

my only concern is messing up the sound card set up I have for my preferences for Ableton.

DJD

Post by DJD » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:09 pm

ok
sound card jimmy riggin!! :lol:

so you got your outs on the back of your sound card that go to your monitors right...

what your going to do is take those outs and plug them back into and in on the sound card then in ableton you open an audio channel and set the imputs to the ones that you pluged your outs to.... and wala!!! resample from youtube.

DjDiabolik

Post by DjDiabolik » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:33 am

A lot of older songs can be "stereo isolated" http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... ity+stereo
because they would have the bass and kick only on the center pan. This doesn't always work though ...

Whether this works or not, you also should set up a side chain compressor to "erase" the kicks or snares that may interfere with your remix. I use a muted midi instrument track for this which usually has a simple kick or hit as a trigger to drop out parts of the original track. You may also want to use a crossover rack (check out CovertOps frequency divider) to only compress certain frequencies of your source track.

I know there are a couple .vst's out there that do another version of the stereo utility trick ... I can't remember what they were called but I'm pretty sure they were windows only.

If you "torrent" there are sometimes decent bootleg vocal collections out there.

There is no one answer and manytimes you just can't successfully pull a vocal out of a song.

simpli.cissimus

Post by simpli.cissimus » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:19 pm

Here is a site where you can get acapellas and warped tracks.
http://abletonwarps.com/forum/

Here are tutorials for acapellas:
http://lazyrecords.co.uk/articles/acape ... ation.html

Have Fun...!
No! I'll never use the Push-App Live 9 !!!