EQing when DJing with Live?! Advice...

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
cenik11

EQing when DJing with Live?! Advice...

Post by cenik11 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:08 am

Hi guys :)

Although I've been producing with Live for a while now I just started learning how to DJ with it. This weekend I normalized all my tracks (via MP3gain), detected their keys via RapidEvolution 2, and warped the tunes in Live (major thanks to Vinkalmann for writing up that amazing guide to warping!). I also setup my Remote ZeRO with TyeBud's template (thank you!).

Anyways, I'm now trying to get into the nitty gritty of playing with Live; and I have a very n00bish, yet important, Q to ask. Essentially, how do you guys do your EQing when transitioning between tracks (I'm talking EDM only)? For instance, let's say I've been playing a track for a few minutes and I then decide that in a couple of bars there will be a good opportunity to start mixing in a second track: what are some of the easiest and/or most effective ways to transition from the one to the other? Do you most of you use the kill switch controlling the low end on the first track's EQ as the main approach? If so, will you please explain the basic steps involved? If not, what else do you do?

I apologize for the n00bish sounding Qs but DJing with Live is a brand new side of the sequencer that I'm just starting to learn about.

Thanks in advance!

Nick.

Superchibisan

Re: EQing when DJing with Live?! Advice...

Post by Superchibisan » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:54 am

super noob!

well. hmm.

most of what you asked is subjective. everyone does things differently.

i recommend eqing to flat. as in, always make sure your pots are at 0db, or straight up on a dj mixer. when bringing a track in. start it with plenty of time for stuff to change. don't wait until the last minute/30 seconds of a track to start mixing. this usually turns out to be boring kick and snare mixes...

i really don't use kills ever... eq should be sufficient.

mazmith

Post by mazmith » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:18 am

have an eq3 on every channel that is being used as a deck for mixing. then, map them to your gear. keep it simple. fx in returns and master.
ASUS GL553VE- i7 2.81gHz 32gb RAM Win10 64 bit Live 10 standard
Behringer X32, Microlite 5x5, midisport 4x4, APC40
Deluge, Beatstep Pro, keystep, SQ-1
Voyager, Prophet 6, JX-3P, JX-8P, BSII, Minibrute, MB33, Eurorack
DRM1, TR-505, HR-16, Rhythm Wolf, RX15

Dexes

Post by Dexes » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:31 pm

There is deffinatly no "right" answer to your question. As Superchibisan said everyone does it differently. It depends on the genre of music, it depends on the subgenre, it depends on the song, the song you play next, which parts of the songs you're mixing, even which beat you start the 2nd song on, the atmosphere at the moment you start, whether you want to keep the tension, build it up or break it down, and last but most importantly (as this affects all the previous points) YOUR personal preferances.

If a song has a very dominant bassline you can try to start with the low eq at minimum or half level and slowly bring it up to have a smooth build up. On the other hand you might want to wait until there's a break in the first song and then just slam in the second one on the first beat after the break. Use it to add a short break by killing the bass for a beat or a bar.

If you play melodic stuff you might want the melodies to play together (which obviously does not work with every combination of songs) slowly fade the mids or quickly switch between them by killing (with eq not necesarily kill switches) them alternatly.

Use the highs to put some extra emphesis on the hihats or to keep them out till the right moment.

The uses and combinations are endless. For decades, before live, tracktor, etc came out, the eq was more or less the the only modulation possibility for DJs beyond the volume and which records you play.

Remember it's music not rocket science, there is no right or wrong, good or bad. If you like the way it sounds, do it! (as long as you don't bust the PA or literally kill the audiance by making their brains burst) Spend hour after hour, day after day, year after year playing and trying different things and eventually you'll find what works best, when and where.

To kill switches, they are a help when you want to do several things at once. ie turn up the mids & kill the bass on one channel and throw up the line fader of the other deck at the same time, is a lot easyer if you just have to stick out one finger of the hand turning the mid than turning to knobs simultainiously with one hand or bringing the fader up with your nose while eqing with both hand.

But I would try to keep the use to a minimum when not nececary. I use a kill switch maybe 2-3 times in an hours set max. Usually less (more often not at all) as I want to be able to do what I'm used to, wherever I play - I DJ with vinyl so I don't have the same "control interface" (mixer) everywhere, and I'd absolutly hate it if I had a great transition in mind but couldn't play it because I don't have the controls needed.