Kaoss Pad 3 or better in Live plus padKONTROL

Share your Ableton Live secrets here
baseinstinct

Kaoss Pad 3 or better in Live plus padKONTROL

Post by baseinstinct » Tue May 05, 2009 2:56 am

there is just one KP's detail which seems not explored in a single software plugin, afaik.

The xy pad in KP works in such a way that touching it, apart from sending the coordinates, unmutes the effect chain. And untouching mutes again.

How to achieve that?

padKONTROL or Novation XSTation does not seem to have such a parameter in pad - just x and y.

robotsound

Re: Kaoss Pad 3 or better in Live plus padKONTROL

Post by robotsound » Tue May 05, 2009 3:49 pm

kp3 has a seperate pad on off message you can assign to the effect chain. Power button, I've also used a padkontrol and assigned one of the xy controllers to that effect on off as well.

baseinstinct

Post by baseinstinct » Tue May 05, 2009 7:27 pm

robotsound wrote:I've also used a padkontrol and assigned one of the xy controllers to that effect on off as well.
can you tell me how to do it in Live?

I have a rough idea of using an utility before chain and assign volume to it but it would have to work in such a way that no touch is vol -inf and touch is vol 0 - or max, to be compensated by another utility AFTER that. With Live's 32 bit internal processing this would do no harm. But it sounds like a big workaround.

bog

Post by bog » Tue May 05, 2009 11:06 pm

padkontrol + farmpad
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=93154

"- XY pad can act as a switch.
The XY Switch is handy - you can put the switch in trigger mode and assign it to dry/wet on an effect so pressing it turns the effect on, moving about the x-y tweaks the effect, then letting go turns the effect off."

baseinstinct

Post by baseinstinct » Wed May 06, 2009 12:22 am

farm pad again.. Those guys should get employed by Korg's development dept.

Thanks, but I need something for a pc.

I have devised a workaround, though.

Utility before the chain, and its mute midimapped to X. When 0 mute on.

The effect is the same.

baseinstinct

Post by baseinstinct » Wed May 06, 2009 1:17 am

next thing

Kaoss Pad records pad movements.

Live's clips seems ideal for that.

But

If fx chain is on a midi track, it can't receive audio

If it's on audio track, can't receive midi

Ideally (outa these two impossibilities) it should be on a midi track, because the clips would be where they belong.

but how to make the chain receive audio then?

NPC

Post by NPC » Wed May 13, 2009 10:39 am

baseinstinct wrote:next thing

Kaoss Pad records pad movements.

Live's clips seems ideal for that.

But

If fx chain is on a midi track, it can't receive audio

If it's on audio track, can't receive midi

Ideally (outa these two impossibilities) it should be on a midi track, because the clips would be where they belong.

but how to make the chain receive audio then?
the fact is that you cannot send midi data from a midi track to an audio track, but this is true only for ableton own devices contained in the audio track-that is they are supposed to be controlled via the remote controls,and recorded via the master record button of live. That said, if you have in the audio track a third party effect, say artillery, then in the midi track "midi out" menu you will have the possibility to route midi to the audio track, and in the lower menu to route it to the single third party fx present in the track.admittedly i never noticed this option was present only for 3d party fx..
maybe, if you put a dummy clip in an audio track, with an ableton rack in it, and overdub the recording of the clip, it will record the automations..dont know well as i always used pre-prepared dummies :)
cheerz
MBP 13", Live Suite 8.2.7, Remote SL 25, LaunchPad, SL mkii 49, APC 20, Access Virus A, OctaTrack, MachineDrum, Blofeld...

baseinstinct

Post by baseinstinct » Thu May 14, 2009 1:29 am

will artillery react so:

0 - mute
>0 - unmute

?

NPC

Post by NPC » Thu May 14, 2009 5:56 am

baseinstinct wrote:will artillery react so:

0 - mute
>0 - unmute
yes!but the pad touch message must be a note instead of a cc#..artillery lets you map effects to notes.
btw it doesnt need to be artillery..all you need is a plugin with a bypass control-with the on/off button it would be more comfortable, but since it is not included in automatable clip parameters it cannot be recorded in a clip. Then you just map the bypass to the pad touch, and the outcome should be press->activate; release->deactivate fx...
MBP 13", Live Suite 8.2.7, Remote SL 25, LaunchPad, SL mkii 49, APC 20, Access Virus A, OctaTrack, MachineDrum, Blofeld...