Warping mp3 vs. wav files

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
benversluis

Warping mp3 vs. wav files

Post by benversluis » Sat May 09, 2009 3:26 am

I must be totally wrong, but I thought the .asd files that are generated when you warp an audio file contained info like warp markers, etc. Is this not so true?

I read somewhere that if you warp .wavs, then you can pick up your DJ sets etc and take them to another system without any problems. Apparently if you try to move your mp3s to another system, you'll have to re-warp everything.

How true is all this?

Thanks for your answers!

longjohns

Re: Warping mp3 vs. wav files

Post by longjohns » Sat May 09, 2009 3:30 am

an mp3 must be decoded to a .wav file in order to play in Live. that's what the decoding cache is for.

so it would not surprise me if the mp3 warping was not easily transferrable between systems. however I don't know for sure

benversluis

Post by benversluis » Sat May 09, 2009 3:40 am

That makes a lot of sense. I wasn't aware that all mp3s were decoded before you play them. If that's the case, then it makes total sense.

Alextronica

Post by Alextronica » Sat May 09, 2009 6:42 pm

So I'm wondering how to transfer my Mp3's

I've spent hundreds of hours warping audio

I made sure to press the little save button in the clip that creates the .asd file.

If I move my Mp3 library with the .asd files to a new system, will the new computer and new Live read my warp markers?

Alex
Black Mac Book 2.16 4gigs of Ram > Ableton 7 Suite > Komplete 5 > APC40 > Novation Remote SL25 > Allen and Heath Xone 92 > Korg Kaoscillator

www.soundcloud.com/Alextronica

smisk

Post by smisk » Sun May 10, 2009 8:25 pm

Alextronica wrote:So I'm wondering how to transfer my Mp3's

I've spent hundreds of hours warping audio

I made sure to press the little save button in the clip that creates the .asd file.

If I move my Mp3 library with the .asd files to a new system, will the new computer and new Live read my warp markers?

Alex
I'm quite interested in knowing this also.

coreyappleby

Post by coreyappleby » Sun May 10, 2009 9:15 pm

I don't believe it's true that mp3s are somehow not transferrable. the asd files should have all the info on the warping/loop/start/stop/etc metadata you've added.

a simple way to test it would be to load a new mp3 into Live, then look at the date/time on the file. If it's unchanged Live hasn't written any data to that file, so it's all in the asd.

Corey

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Sun May 10, 2009 10:13 pm

supster would know!

Turtle-san

Post by Turtle-san » Mon May 11, 2009 2:12 pm

I believe the key point is how you transfer the files, not whether they are mp3 or wav. To be more precise, I believe if you move or copy your files using the Ableton file browser, your analysis files will stay intact. If you move or copy them using the windows file browser the analysis files 'break' for some reason. I think that's the story anyhow....

blackboab

Post by blackboab » Wed May 13, 2009 10:24 am

no problems here ... I transfer tons of MP3s (+ .ASD files) from my studio machine to my laptop everytime I go DJing. Never had any issues whatsoever.

benversluis

Post by benversluis » Fri May 15, 2009 6:10 am

+1 to everyone who's answered..

I only have one system with Live on it so I've been unable to actually test this. I found it kind of hard to believe that, for some reason .wavs would transfer fine while .mp3s wouldnt.

snakedogman

Post by snakedogman » Sun May 17, 2009 9:43 pm

should be no problem transfering warped mp3's as long as you keep the mp3 and the asd files together.

michaellpenman

Post by michaellpenman » Sun May 17, 2009 10:19 pm

ALWAYS SAVE.
But if you are djing i would never was MP3, there is so much info lost in the transfer. And this will stand out on a large system.

audiovoid

Post by audiovoid » Mon May 18, 2009 12:45 am

In theory it works. But mp3's are known to behave a little bit wackily in Live.
I've definitely had random pre-warped mp3's that , once decoded a 2nd or 3rd time, all of a sudden had their warp markers offset. Usually it was only a case of highlighting all markers and dragging the 1st one back to beat one. But I have had other strange warping related issues with mp3's in the past as well.
Last edited by audiovoid on Wed May 20, 2009 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
audiovoid.net
Macbook pro,
MacPro 8 core
running OSX, &
WinXP through Bootcamp and Fusion

michaellpenman

Post by michaellpenman » Wed May 20, 2009 4:17 pm

If your mp3's are already warp take of the auto warp in the preferences
also i really dont understand why people use mp3s there so poor quality, you might as well use cardboard speakers and 1 gen mac while your at it

benversluis

Post by benversluis » Mon May 25, 2009 6:07 am

michaellpenman wrote:If your mp3's are already warp take of the auto warp in the preferences
also i really dont understand why people use mp3s there so poor quality, you might as well use cardboard speakers and 1 gen mac while your at it
Yeah, mp3s are lossy. But I personally don't hear much a difference in DJing with 320kbps mp3s vs. wav/aiff over typical club PA.

I don't know about you, but I'm not a globe trotting DJ and the systems I play on are not exactly what you'll see at a major festival.