'Slice and dice' an audio sample

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Rendex

'Slice and dice' an audio sample

Post by Rendex » Wed May 13, 2009 1:52 am

Hey all, first post!

I have Live 7 (not suite) and before attempting to split a sample over midi hits, it wants the Sampler to be installed. Is there a way around this?

Or if not, can I do this with a straight upgrade to 8 or do I need suite?

Superchibisan

Re: 'Slice and dice' an audio sample

Post by Superchibisan » Wed May 13, 2009 5:08 am

no real way around it except to purchase sampler i would suppose.

you can buy the instrument for 125 off hte ableton website i believe.

seismicexplo

Post by seismicexplo » Wed May 13, 2009 6:26 am

live8 wont help ,youll still need sampler
but,
you could try another slicing-preset
you can even make your own slicing-presets(manual p245 and p216)

if this doesnt work ,then it kinda sounds like a bug to me
(i cant check what the non-suite behaviour is since i have the suite)

hope this helps a little

seis.

kraze

Post by kraze » Fri May 15, 2009 12:26 am

Or you can use any sampler. If you're on PC, Vember Audio has a free one called Shortcircuit that's awesome.

Golden State

Post by Golden State » Fri May 15, 2009 12:21 pm

ok, my first newby question LOL.

So in live 8, without "sampler" I cannot load up an audio sample/file like a break beat...and chop it up into pieces (like hat, kick, snare, etc)? Or are you guys saying that "sampler" is just an easier tool to use for doing this... I know in fruity loops when you load up a sample, it can automatically detect the regions of the sample and partion them accordingly (which i believe you can go in and tweak). If I'm doing Hip Hop, and I plan on primarily sampling old recordings, and then chopping them up into tiny pieces (which i can then assign to my mpd24 pads) to re-arrange should I get sampler. I'm just kinda lost on what benefit sampler is going to give me. Thanks folks.
Glory to God Alone!

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Fri May 15, 2009 1:15 pm

Slicing to midi is definitely the way to do this. It's strange that you haven't got any simpler defaults for that function. It might help to check out slicing presets in the library.
You don't need Sampler, most of the slicer options use Simpler - the default sample playback device included with Live. Sampler is alright - I got it as part of suite 7, I like it more than exs24 but less than kontakt, it's big downside is the lack of built in timestretching (it has to be created using a microloop that scans through the soundfile).

To get around the slice to midi problem you could create an empty drum rack and drag the break to the first pad, sort out the end point for that section that ctrl drag that pad to an adjacent one, move start and end points for the sound file and just repeat this procedure untill you've created a drumset.

aftertouch

Post by aftertouch » Tue May 19, 2009 12:04 am

u can chop (ctrl-e) and drag the chops onto an impulse from the arrange view. its just the same but takes a bit more effort.